Corn Husks…they’re not just for Tamales!

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love tamales!
And when you go to the grocery store and ask to be pointed in the direction of the corn husks, that is exactly what the clerks assume you will be making with them.
(Don’t go to 4 different craft stores looking for them!
Learn from my wasted time and “duh” moment!
“Oh, are you making tamales?”
“Nope. I’m making a wreath!”
Silence….blank stare…more silence…
“That will be $3 please.”
I will happily put up with those blank stares though, because I am here to show you:
3 ways to use $3 worth of Corn Husks!
1. Make a Corn Husk Wreath
On Saturday, we showed you two of our Harvest projects and I shared with you that I, after years of saying that I would NEVER make a wreath,
finally caved to the crafting pressure and tackled this Martha Stewart creation.

Other than the fact that I thought it was so beautiful in its simplicity, I’m pretty sure I was also drawn to it when I saw that the instructions were about as basic as they come.
You may recall that I am a bit Craft Challenged!

Here is all you need to get started:
1 bag of Corn Husks (look in either Mexican food aisle or produce section of grocery store)
1 Straw Wreath (I used the smaller size)
2 packages Greening Pins

Soak your corn husks in a large bowl of water for 10 minutes so that they will become pliable.

Tear them into 2 inch strips. Fold them in half and starting on the inside of the wreath and working your way towards the outside, pin them in rows of 4 or 5 across, covering the pins with the next row of husks.

Choose your ribbon and that is all there is to it.
If I can do this, believe me, YOU can do this!

I still had quite a few Corn Husks left and I knew I wanted to carry the
Harvest theme throughout the house.
2. Place in an urn for a simple, yet elegant arrangement.
By tucking some of the remaining husks into this urn, it became the perfect finishing touch for my mantel!

Here is a peek, just a peek mind you, at how it is all coming together.
Would you believe that I still had some corn husks left over after that?
3. Use the Husks in the layering of a Centerpiece.
I’ve had this little clustered arrangement of faux wheat for awhile and knew I wanted to do something different with it this year. My last space to tackle was my dining room table.
I plunked this down inside one of my favorite pots.

Then, using the leftover husks, I layered them around the perimeter.
I followed that up by tucking in pinecones and faux pumpkins, gourds, acorns, etc.

I think it adds just the right Harvest touch to my Dining Room table.
That $3 bag of Corn Husks went a long way!
Maybe next year I’ll actually make some Tamales with them!

Thanks for joining me at the Fence today,

This post is partying here:

Such a fabulous, low cost idea that adds a lot impact to fall displays. I am so going to buy some when I go to the store tomorrow. I love the texture it adds, just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing! XO ~Liz

Loving the new “fall item” you’ve introduced us to! I’ve got my own idea whirling around for a wreath using these. Headed to the grocery store tomorrow!

Really, really cute, Vanessa! I would have gone to the craft store to buy them too! Great idea about the grocers! You did a wonderful job for being a “non wreath making” kinda gal! xo Diana

Not sure what happened…I left a comment earlier and it is gone…oh well, I probably did something wrong. Hey, wanted to tell you that I made a cornhusk wreath too…a little different than yours. I will post mine later with a tutorial. I thought it was fun! Yours is beautiful…especially against your black door. REALLY pretty!

You had me at Tamales!! Love that wreath and all the husks used throughout your fall decor. Great idea! My mother is Mexican and now I can almost taste those Texas tamales!! It’s coming up on the Christmas season soon and that’s traditionally when tamales are most often made and served.

Hot Tamale!

I couldn’t resist. That’s what we used to say back in the ’70s when something was really wonderful. (OK… I admit it that it was usually a boy who was really wonderful, but it still works here.)

I can’t believe you got all that for three bucks. I want to try the wreath when I finish the other 4000 projects I seem to have taken on at the same time.

GIRL … you are officially the corn husk queen !! I absolutely LOVE what you did with them. The wreath is gorgeous … simple, yet elegant … and tucking and tying pieces here and there truly creates beautiful harvest touches! They are probably going to run out of corn husks everywhere now because of the wreaths and fillers soon to appear in blogland because of your inspiring self, and people all over the world who actually want to buy them to make tamales are going to be a bit miffed! LOL. Thanks for sharing … can’t wait to try this! xoxo

What a great idea. I really like the simplicity of that corn husk wreath. The nice thing is that you can leave it plain or dress it up. I bet you could even dye the corn husks before putting them on the wreath for a completely different look. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Vanessa,
    Your corn husk wreathe is gorgeous!!! It makes me want to make one, not sure if we can find those in Canada, but I will look. That would be the perfect thing for my door.
    Your other ideas are great too!
    So glad you gals found my blog so that I could visit you back.
    Hugs, Cindy

You did a great job on the wreath, Vanessa. I made one of those about 25 years ago and was able to use it over and over for about 10 years before it started to fall apart. So just wrap it up carefully after the season & you will reap the benefits of your endeavor for several years to come.
    :) CAS

I wish I had seen this a week ago when I spent two days going to every craft place I could think of looking for corn husks!!!! Guess what – nobody had them! I even looked at the seasonal decorations in my grocery store today. Duh…it never occurred to me to look in the ethnic foods section. I was all prepared to go the Farmer’s Mkt. tomorrow to see if they have them. Thanks so much for the tip!

That wreath is wonderful! I love the impact that one element can have on a design, like using all corn husk. It is really a work of art! The corn husks also looks very nice in the fall arrangement. Thank you for linking it to Home Sweet Home!

Hey gorgeous,

Well, $3 goes a loooooong way when you have the know-how…and you sooooo do! This is lovely! And your photos are awesome…so clear and full of light!

Thank you so much for linking up to my Fall In Love party.