How to make a book page pumpkin

I’m sharing a super easy and cute fall craft today…how to make a book page pumpkin!

How to make a book page pumpkin

I am just loving all of the ways people out in blogland that people are using Dollar Tree pumpkins! I shared with you a couple of weeks ago my first use of a Dollar Tree pumpkin, my Monogramed Pumpkin.

How to make a Book Page Pumpkin from Dollar Store pumpkins
I love projects using book pages. As a literature teacher they speak to me through the beauty of  the typography and their simplicity.  I knew when I saw some variations of the book page pumpkin on Pinterest,  I had to make me a few, and they truly couldn’t be easier! In fact I think the hardest part was bringing myself to tear the pages out of a book!

I have a confession as well, I had a hard time even choosing a book knowing I was going to tear it apart. In fact my favorite style of pages (because of the typography and page color) was Al Gore’s Nobel Peace Prize Speech.  First I had to think about the fact that someone’s Nobel Peace Prize Speech was now residing in an aisle at the Dollar Tree among plastic toy guns and Lady Guadalupe incense. Then I had to decide if I could bear to tear apart the pages of said person’s Nobel Peace Prize speech…regardless of how I felt on a personal level about said person. Winking smile

I was having a real mental and ethical crisis right there among the crossword puzzles and the cheap coloring books with those weird princesses on the covers. So I chose a different book…and I’m hoping the author of that book doesn’t read this blog, or I’ll feel guilty all over again.

How to make a Dollar Store Book Page Pumpkin

Here’s a quick step by step tutorial on how to make a Book Page Pumpkin

Inexpensive foam pumpkins (I get mine from Dollar Tree)
Modge Podge
Foam Brush
A book you don’t mind tearing apart that has a font and page color you like (Again, got mine at Dollar Tree)
A branch (I got mine from yard)
Some type of decorative Spanish moss or grass

How to make a Dollar Store Book Page Pumpkin Tutorial
Step 1. Tear pages from your book and then tear into 1/2” to 1” strips.  Avoid pages with lots of blank spaces so that you can get a uniform look of typography on the pumpkin.

Step 2. Working in sections, so that your glue does not dry to quickly, spread mod podge onto your pumpkin and apply book page strips overlapping to avoid orange showing through. Glue all the way up the pumpkin but not onto the stem.

Step 3. As you are applying strips of paper smooth out the strips as you work making sure to avoid as many wrinkles as possible for a nice smooth finish.  Run your finger down through the ridges of the pumpkin to make sure they are still defined.

Step 4. Apply plenty of glue to the bottom of the pumpkin and smooth down ends of strips for a nice finish.  Apply a thin layer of mod podge over entire pumpkin and allow to dry completely.

Step 5. Cut off excess paper around top of stem. Find a nice stick or twig that you like and cut or break to size.  Poke stick down into stem of pumpkin.  Apply mod podge or glue around base of twig and add Spanish moss or decorative grass around base of twig.

How to make a Dollar Store Book Page Pumpkin

And that’s all there is to it! Easy-pumpkin-Peasy!

Here’s some more fun pumpkin projects!

Blinged Out Spiderweb Pumpkin
Nailhead Dollar Store Pumpkin
Ribbon Wrapped Pumpkin

I love this idea, Heather !! And, am thinking I just might have to borrow this. They look fabulous … thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Soo cute Heather!! They turned out great. And I’m with you and about ripping pages out of books. I just seems wrong and goes against everything we’re taught as children. At least your pumpkins look fabulous! heehee

~ Catie

Looks great, Heather! I totally understand about the book pages, though. I have some fantastic antique books that I picked up at auction, but some of them have broken spines and the pages are falling out. I still haven’t been able (yet) to bring myself to alter them. Hopefully I’ll get over it soon ’cause I’ve got some projects I’d like to tackle. :-)

Thanks for making me laugh as well as for the great idea on the book page pumpkins. I’m headed to Dollar Tree tomorrow…for the pumpkins. I think I’ll leave the mentioned book right where it is sitting :).

How cute! I keep saying I’m done with fall decorating and then you see a cute little pumpkin like this. I may just have to borrow your idea.

Thanks for sharing,

It’s a beautiful popular holiday craft and your photography of your pumpkins is so pretty and elegant! I love it on the silver platter. andrea@townandprairie

So, I have made a half dozen trips to our local Dollar Tree, and there is not a pumpkin to be found there. Seriously. I’m getting ready to picket the place.

IF I find some cheap pumpkins, I am dying to do some creative stuff. This one was up my alley from the first photo. I just love words, you know.

Laughing at your wink.

Aren’t you clever. I would have a tough time ripping up a book too. I love how it looks. I have to do something like this. Too cute.

Hey Heather! :) Thanks for you sweet comment on my kitchen chairs…I <3 them SO much! They were a huge undertaking (at times I thought I was crazy) but I adore how they turned out.
    I saw your island on Layla’s fb page!! I was thinking, oh that person did a great job..then I saw it was you and did a little squeal for you! :) I LOVE Layla..she is such a sweet person with such a warm heart.
    Your pumpkins are adorable, LOVE the book pages on them! (I don’t think I would have had any problem tearing pages from Al Gores book…just sayin’) LOL 😉 I feel a definite trip to the Dollar Tree coming on…of course, they pretty much know me on a first name basis there, so that should tell you that trips there are not unusual. :)
    Have a great day!
    Missy :)

Oooh, nice idea, Heather. It’s lovely!

Book pages have a certain gorgeousness all of their own, don’t they? I think they go perfectly with this time of year – echoes of rustling leaves.

Thank you for linking up to Modern Country Style’s Fall In Love link party!

Thanks so much for mentioning us in your post! Your pumpkins turned out great! (weren’t they just too easy to make?) Looking around at your blog as well… can’t believe we haven’t come across you already. Great blog! Thanks again! =) April and Jenny @ Urban Daisies

Yes, I’ve been seeing this all around blog land too! I really have to try this fun little craft project with my little one! He’d enjoy pasting paper onto a dollar tree pumpkin!!! :) You did such a great job on yours!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Really cute idea! I have a sack of dollar store pumpkins, but I’ve not been able to do much this week.

Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. You participation is appreciated!

Heather they are so pretty and I love the silver that they are on and I am glad that you found some pages to use. :) Your photos are gorgeous, love the vignette.
    Enjoy your weekend!

What an inspiring post.. My, your pumpkins turned out so beautiful and I’m sure I’ll try this! Enjoyed every word as well as the beautiful photographs.

Love, Love, Love the pumpkin…I am trying it tomorrow! #1 item on my TO DO LIST: Stop by $ Tree and purchase some pumpkins! Thanx for sharing! Tiff

If you have not visited my blog over at the palace, please do…The Cranky Queen