Brass Chandelier(s) Makeover

050-1
In the 3 1/2 years that we have lived in our home, we have replaced every single fixture and faucet.
Every single one that is, except for these.

This is was my shiny brass dining room chandelier.

102
And this is was my shiny brass entry chandelier.
112
I knew that something needed to be done. But light fixtures that big cost A LOT of money!
And if I was going to replace one shiny brass chandelier, I needed to replace the other one too.
Especially since they are in the same line of vision from several points throughout the house.
I looked high and low trying to find replacements that wouldn’t break the bank, knowing all along that we would also have to hire an electrician to come out and do the actual replacing.
My handy hubby has been able to do everything else himself, but he put his foot down when it came to trying to replace a light fixture in a 2 story foyer.
He’s not the biggest fan of heights.
And then, it hit me!

Why not just hire an electrician to come over, take the lights down, let me paint them and then pay him to come back and re-install them? It would definitely cost less than buying 2 new fixtures.
So that is just what I did!
And, if you want to feel really badly about your housekeeping skills, I can’t think of a better way than this.
Just check out that dust….oh yeah!

134
I decided to use an antique brass color (Rustoleum Spray Paint) rather than going with a true oiled bronze. I really didn’t want the fixtures to be too dark and I also wanted them to still have a reflective quality.

141
But, as anyone who has tried to spray paint something round will tell you, there is just no way to avoid those drip marks. See that one on the left?

146
I decided to just work with them but sanding it a little bit and then going over those spots with darker paint (Espresso colored craft paint) and basically doing a dry brush technique to get the look of an aged patina.

148
It took a few days of painting to get it all just right and then the electrician came again and hung them right back up. Here is my giant entry brass chandelier
BEFORE

112
And here it is AFTER!

069

Before                                                                     After
          112073
                                                                                             113                                   064

103
I’m still debating putting simple off-white shades on this fixture just to soften it up a bit.
What do you think?
I just absolutely love how much warmer my entry feels now!
And now, let’s move onto the next fixture! Here is my Dining Room chandelier

BEFORE

102
And here it is
AFTER Well, sort of After.

014
I loved the new off-white linen shades but I still felt like something was missing.
Something like maybe some…

080
BLING!
This chandelier needed to be bling-i-fied.

I found these packets of crystal prisms for $5 each at Lowes and wondered if it would work to just clip them onto the fixture.

024
And, it DID work!
I think they were the perfect finishing touch.

075-1
Before

After with crystals
 108
I absolutely love how they glimmer and shimmer at night with the light on.

037
Here is a close up of the round ball at the bottom to give you an idea of how the
“aging” paint treatment (a.k.a. working with drip marks) turned out.

055
While I was at it, I decided it was time to do something that had been bugging me for awhile.
This room has really high ceilings and I knew that the mirror should have been hung vertically to maximize the height. I was also feeling like the blue plates were just a tad too busy in here.

And I really wanted to get that white table back into the family room where it belonged.

035
Ahhhhh…sooo much better!

091
Notice the new table too?

I found it at Hancock Fabrics and was able to get it for 40% off!

081
I love the detailing.
082
121
111

050
I just love seeing my “new” chandelier reflected in the mirror now.

087
So, for the cost of an electrician plus a few (more like 8) cans of spray paint, some elbow grease, new shades and crystal prisms, I have 2 new light fixtures!
And I couldn’t be happier with my old-turned-new chandeliers times two!
Thanks for joining me today at the Fence,

Comments

They both are really beautiful–great idea not going too too dark with the finish!
    The crystals added just enough sparkle, I think!
    Great job!
    ~april

The finish came out amazing. I love how you blingified the chandelier with the crystals. I just love the bling. I had to laugh when I read the part about your husband not being a big fan of heights. This week I have a post scheduled just about such a thing. Love the makeovers. Just perfect!

Vanessa, Great inspiration! You’ve done a beautiful job. Love the new look! Going in my inspiration files. I also have two shiny chandeliers that are in need of a makeover. What color paint(s) did you use? Whatever you used is perfect!

I {heart} simple, yet dramatic makeovers! Lovely lovely!
    I did this same thing to my brass chandy, only I painted it black, like iron, but I love this ORB. And I have a can in the garage…hmmmm.
    OH! Hey! What did you do with the with pre-Hancock table (which is very lovely)? Can I have it? :)
    Love, me

I love the new look! I need to do that with my chandelier in the foyer too. We just replaced burned out light bulbs and cleaned it real well while we were painting the foyer. My foyer chandelier is very similar to yours. The good thing is that it’s a classic design. You saved a ton of money going this route!

WOW!!! what a transformation… Isn’t it AMAZING how the simplest things become the GREATEST things…. I think often we get caught in that mindset that it has to be New or Expensive…. When Cheap ends up being actually the BEST!!! That is if there is a CREATIVE mind behind CHEAP!!! Great job

Vanessa, The light fixtures look fabulous. I know what you mean about the large chandeliers costing so much. Painting really updated them and now they look like new. Thank you for sharing this transformation at the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

Vanessa, you did an amazing job on both of those chandeliers. The color is perfect. ORB would have been to dark. And yes, they are very expensive to replace so what a great way to get a new look. I have a very similar on in my foyer and actually still like it because Mr. Country would have a bird if I wanted to replace it.!
    Marianne :)

What a world of difference! They look like brand new lights. Fantastic idea, and on a budget even better. We can’t get to ours that high either. When we replaced the foyer light, because it was a light I hated…the electrician did not overcharge us at all.

10. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says

Looks fantastic! Love the new color and your little additions to make it so pretty!! :) Well done!!

11. Beth says

Both fixtures look beautiful! I really like your “aged” look even if it was to cover drip marks! Making old things new again is one of my favorite things. And I vote for NO shades on the entry fixture. It’s pretty just the way it is!

GIRL, these are STUNNING! I love your “new” chandies, which you took to a over-the-top level! I love the color and the added bling (you *know* I love me some bling) … fabulous, V! And, I gotta say that I love the chandie in the foyer as is, without shades. Thanks for inspiring me to do this to one of mine, too!

13. Robin says

You really did an excellent job on both of these fixtures and I love the traditional feel of them too. I never expected any less of you–great job, as always.

This is just a wonderful transformation and with very little money involved! Thanks for the tip on the “aging process” I’ll remember that if I ever do a round ball project!
    Truely a great post! They turned out just beautifully!

We must have had the same builder as you!! I just changed out our brass dining room chandelier and am trying to figure out solution for the one in our foyer. I love how yours looks with the paint – it makes a world of difference.

16. Andrea @Oasis Accents says

I had to pop over from the email and comment. Love, love, love the way the fixtures turned out. They are beautiful! The mirror looks great turned vertical too! Great job!!

Yay!!!!! Providentially, I’m at the “change out the ugly brass light fixture” stage of the dining room right now. I’m trying to decide if I want shades and if I want to do the ORB or something else. I love the way yours came out. I don’t know if it will fit with the rest of my dining room or I’ll end up with a darker finish, but I do feel more gutsy to paint it because yours looks so great. (Both of them)

Lucky me, I have a daughter who learned to hang light fixtures working on a summer “flip” job a few years ago.

First your light fixtures turned out great. The crystals finished off the DR light. Your mirror accentuates the height of the room better now and I didn’t even know Hancock sold furniture. I noticed your pillows because I have used that fabric all over my house.

Robin
    Robin Flies South

Wow! That chandelier is massive and beautiful! LOVE your makeover! Seriously love all the beautiful pics!!! Thanks so much for the fun treat of being featured on your site tomorrow ~ I can hardly wait!!! I’m your newest “follower”!!! I’d love you to “follow” me too on your next visit!!!

Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

Both lights look fantastic! I’ve been thinking about doing that with the ceiling fan in our kitchen. I just don’t know if I’m willing to do all that work! But you’ve inspired me to think about it again.

Admiring the persistence you put into your website and in depth information
    you present. It’s good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material.
    Great read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including
    your RSS feeds to my Google account.
    hard disk sentinel recently posted..hard disk sentinelMy Profile

22. Jessica says

Hi Vanessa! I am planning on using your technique to paint my sisters chandelier. My quesion is about the craft paint that you used. Was it acrylic? Also did you seal the chandelier with anything or no? Thanks in advance and beautiful job:-)
    Jess

• says

Hi Jessica! So glad you like it! Yes I just used basic acrylic craft paint and I suppose I could have sealed it lol but I didn’t bother and haven’t had any issues with it. Let me know how yours turns out! :-)