No-Sew Owl Pillow

“Hoo” doesn’t love a no-sew project?

No-Sew Owl Pillow from atthepicketfence.com

As soon as I saw the owl pillows created by Cassity from Remodelaholic, I knew I wanted to make some for my kiddos! You can head over and see Cassity’s adorable owls here: Fun Fall Owl Pillow

But, I decided that I would try and create a “no-sew” version for all of you who don’t own sewing machines. Or are like me and just don’t want to drag your machine out of a closet and set it all up and then have 2 little “helpers” asking if they can push the pedal and then yell at said “helpers” for not understanding that you are trying to make something fun for them and can’t they just leave you alone while you do it!Not that any of you would do that.
I used scrap fabric for the base of the pillow and picked up these colorful swatches from the Craft Store for $1 each. You will also need black, white and orange felt squares.
I loved the idea of getting to customize the Owl Pillows to the color palette for each of my kids.

Here are the fabrics I selected for my son’s pillow.

And here are the ones for my daughter.

After very carefully studying Cassity’s version and printing out a picture of her owl pillow, I realized at some point that I was going to have to free-hand trace the outline of the owl. Those who know me well, know that I am no artist (as in no one wants me on their Pictionary team) so this was a bit anxiety inducing. But, I figured since it was for kids’ rooms it didn’t need to be perfect. In fact, the more free-form the more fun, huh?

After cutting out the owl outline, I turned my attention to piecing together the patterned fabrics to create each owl’s own unique personality.

I traced out pieces for ears, a little piece for a tuft of hair above the ears and then the body pieces. You truly can just do whatever looks good and suits your fancy at this point. Using pinking shears, I cut out each piece and laid them out on top of the owl accordingly.

Now, I have a confession to make here. I have never actually done a “no-sew” project, so this was a whole new experience for me. Most of my projects involve dragging my machine out so I had no idea there were so many handy ways to avoid having to do that!

Enter Liquid Stitch.

The rest is easy! It is exactly like making any other pillow except no machine involved!

On the wrong side of your owl pillow cutout, simply run this glue along the rim and then place the other piece (wrong side as well) on top. Let it set for a little while before turning it inside out. You will be able to tell when it is dry.
Then begin attaching the rest of your fabric pieces to build your owl.

I traced some kitchen glasses to cut out the circles for the eyes and cut out a diamond for the beak.
We stuffed ’em right up and I did end up doing a quick whip stitch to close the bottom, although you could get away with using the glue there as well.
Here is my son’s completed Owl Pillow gracing his bed. His ears are a little wonky and lopsided but we think it gives him character!

And my daughter’s owl is sitting ever so proudly on her window seat.
I love that it looks Fall-ish but in a less obvious way.

Our owls briefly escaped in an attempt to return to their natural habitat but we quickly caught them and brought them back inside where they are receiving lots of love from their new owners!

I’m really glad my neighbors didn’t catch me outside taking this photo.

Not sure how I could explain that one!
Thanks so much for joining me at the Fence today,

Comments

Love love love!!! Love the fabrics you chose, your owls have the most wonderful personalities – I can’t exactly blame them for wanting to get back to the habitat, but glad they were willing to come back in and live with y’all. I especially love that second batch of fabric – what Craft Store? I just feel sorta like I *need* some of the fabric 😉

Hugs,
    Mary @ Redo 101

They are so cute! I bought some of that liquid stitch but have not used it! I do sew, but I don’t really like to, and this is a great alternative! I love your fabric choices too!
    Debbie (Oh and I know what you mean about the neighbors-LOL)

Those are so cute and I love that you made them with fabric glue rather than sewing them. I have a thing for owls right now and these are just adorable with a capital A. I had to laugh when I read what you said about your neighbors seeing you photographing the owls outside. I often feel that way when I photo one of my projects.

4. Cozy Home Scenes says

So, so, so cute! I love the fabrics you used, and those big eyes are adorable. I’m sure both owls will be very well loved!

Adorable. My daughter is CRAZY about owls. When she happend to walk by while I was reading your post she squealed and practical pushed me off my chair in order to read your post. To say the least, she’s smitten. Looks like I’ll be making a few owls of my own soon. Thanks!

Those are the CUTEST! I love little owl pillows for kids. They’re very popular right now. This project is my kind of project too. I don’t own a sewing machine, so fabric glue is the next best thing.

Hello,
    I visited your blog today – I saw you on ‘Savvy Seasons ny Liz.’ Your blog is so pretty, colorful, and charming. I love the owl pillows. They are darling. They remind me of my daughter who is working on her Ph.D. right now. Me and my daughters started a new blog, and we would love it if you could visit us and follow. I would enjoy coming back to visit with you and seeing all your wonderful ideas. I hope to hear from you, and have a lovely week.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

8. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says

These are super cute Vanessa!! What little charmers! I love them in the tree too. Great job!

These are absolutely adorable, fun, creative and original, Vanessa! Great job, friend (and, hate to break it to you, but you ARE an *artiste*!) I’d love to try this, but I’m afraid of what it’d look like! LOL. And, I sooo wish I was your neighbor to have seen you placing your cute owls in the tree for a photo op … the things we do in the name of blogging, right?

Wonderful idea! I am having a fall party this Sunday afternoon for several families…maybe I should have this ready to put together for each family to do together! Hmmmm…sorry have to go…fabric store is calling!

Hooty hoo, Hooty hoo. Ok…laughed OUT LOUD when you made the comment about your neighbors seeing you…that is so funny. My neighbor caught me last night taking pics of my bench swing and gave me a look…so funny! I guess they thought I was taking pics of my dog??? ok…anyway, this is such a darling project! so fun!! I am so happy that I have met someone who doesn’t sew and it doesn’t slow them down…you inspire me!

These are absolutely adorable!!!! I love them alot!! i have never done a no sew project and this may be the one I try first!!
    Love the fabric you chose!
    xoxox

They are the cutest! I do quite a bit of sewing, but have never heard of this stich stuff. Fabulous! I expecially love the white one. Bet your rascals love them!

CNC TOOL GRINDING MACHINE
    Lakshmielectro is an authorized dealer of GIVI Measure Products, Sew Eurodrive GMBH, Delta Tau (Switzerland), Weicon (Germany) Wire Stripping Tools and Machine Tool Retrofits with Fanuc/Siemens.

SEW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE
    GIVI DRO
    MULTI -AXIS MOTION CONTROLLERS
    WIRE STRIPPING TOOLS
    CNC TOOL GRINDING MACHINE
    DC DRIVES

For more details visit :- http://www.lakshmielectro.com/