DIY Trumeau Mirror

I’m noticing a distinct trend lately among all of my projects.
First comes the idea.
Then comes the “that is going to look seriously dorky”.
Then comes, “But maybe I’ll try it anyway and if it ends up being an epic failure no one will know.”
Then comes, “Oh wait, is this actually working?”
Then comes, “Umm…but what if I’m the only one who thinks this looks good? How much photo editing can I do to pull this one off?”
So it went with my idea to attempt a DIY Trumeau Mirror!
This is our Family Room.

This doesn’t even come close to how messy it is on most days.
In your mind add in about a million tiny plastic animals, some empty bowls left over from snacks and all of the pillows off of the chairs so the rascals can play “lily pads”.
These cabinets were here when we moved in and while I know everyone and their sister (hee hee) has lighter colored cabinetry in their homes, this stuff is really nice and has wonderful pull-out drawers and according to my hubby isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
We added the floating shelves when we moved in to fill in the spaces above the built-ins.
But, it all just seemed so dark to me.
And a little bit cluttered.
And I’ve had those 4 botanical prints up there for four years AND they were up above the fireplace of our old house for 8 years so I think I’m justified in wanting a change, right?

So, I got it into my head that I might just want to do something a tad more simple and maybe a bit lighter.

That’s when I remembered how much I have always loved Trumeau Mirrors and wondered if I could attempt to make one myself. There is an awesome tutorial for how to make these over at  The Idea Room if your not completely hair-brained like me and decide to pretty much just wing it!
I had an old Wal-Mart mirror tucked away that I thought might just work for the bottom and some leftover molding and trim I knew my hubby would be happy for me to use up.
The only things I purchased were the ply-wood and the little decorative ornament.

I built a small frame for the top and attached the decorative ornament with wood glue.
Then I used 2 pieces of leftover molding stacked on top of each other for some extra “umph”.
I know that some of you miter-ing wizards (Heather!) could make the corners look extra fancy but my little $10 miter saw and box just don’t “cut” when it comes to that. I’m so punny aren’t I?

The already framed Wal-Mart mirror was then just attached (I used the existing hooks to simply hang it straight onto the wood) to the bottom half and this could seriously go down as one of the easiest DIY projects ever!
A couple of coats of paint, some distressing (which I find very “distressing” by the way! It seems so wrong to sand down something that has been freshly painted!), a coat of darker stain and then all sealed up with some wax and I had myself my very own Trumeau Mirror!
It might not be the real deal and it definitely isn’t perfect, but I just love how much it brightens things up in here and softens the darker woodwork.
                             Before                                                                         After

DSC_1043-1     DSC_1084-1

Now, don’t go judging my slightly uninspired Spring mantel.
 I’ve been too busy building mirrors folks!
At least I got some tulips up there right?
 Thanks so much for joining me at the Fence today,

Ooooh…I love it, Vanessa! You did a great job! I am a huge fan of Trumeau mirrors and have been pinning ideas to eventually make my own, too! I think I want to do one with a painting on top. Those mirrors are just so darn frenchy! Love yours!…hugs…Debbie

First, before I forget, congrats to you and Heather for your blog being mentioned in Romantic Homes Magazine! I haven’t had a chance to read through it but did flip through and saw so many of my bloggy friends mentioned. Well deserved attention, ladies! : )

Great job on this project, Vanessa! I see these and love the look. I think because the prices can be so high, if you can make your own that is the best way to go to have that look in your own home. It really does lighten it up and I love how your accessories look with it!

You are so funny! You totally rocked this thing out after thinking it was a dorky idea. I love it, it is fresh and clean and makes your mantel look spring like even if it’s only some tulips up there!

Oh my goodness, Vanessa, I think that looks beautiful! I think it is totally awesome that you did that yourself. For me, & maybe I’m just OLD-fashioned, but I love the dark wood. I feel the different woods that people have in their homes makes such a statement & creates that eclectic, warm & inviting feel. I truly hope this obsession so many people seem to have with painting every wood piece in their home some light, chalk paint color will soon go away. I think it makes everyone’s space look the same. So, again I say, good for you for mixing it up!

Vanessa I am so impressed. This mirror looks amazing. It makes a huge impact over your fireplace. How did you attach the mirror to the board? I am pinning this one and putting it on my to do list.

That looks great Vanessa! I have our old bath room mirror that I want to attempt a large one with sometime. One that leans on the wall.

So now I know how those mirrors are made! I love how it turned out. It looks great over your mantel. Don’t worry about the mess. We all have them whereever the tv and the kids are. ha! My sofa was a mess in my last post, but I thought….oh well. That’s life.

I just saw Sherry’s comment about being in Romantic Homes. Congratulations!!! I am filled with admiration that you would even attempt a project like this. Totally out of my comfort zone! I love the way it turned out. I had to laugh when you said the distressing was distressing. I agree! I hate it. Hope your week is off to a good start. Tell Heather I said hi. :o)

You girls are fearless! It looks wonderful and you did a super job. It DOES really lighten up your room, and the queen of clutter gives you a thumbs up!! AND Congrats you girls on the feature in Romantic Homes…YAY!!

I love these mirrors and I never knew what they were called. And! I have always wanted to make one and just kind of figured I would “figure” it out at some point. This is wonderful, thanks for sharing! I am making a whole bunch of these to sell!

OMGoodness, I just purchased a mirror at our local flea market for $1 and was planning on making one! You did an excellent job and it looks beautiful. Now I can’t wait to get started on mine. Thanks for sharing yours and I hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

I’ve got a serious case of LOVIN’IT! I have a big old fat white “thang” on top of my mantel. I guess it was the builder’s vision of a mantel piece, but it just needs help. This looks great.

Great look … impressive job. Love it.
    Glad you liked my Light Fixture Cloche that was featured on DIY by Design.
    Hope you will visit me sometime. I follow you and am inspired by what you do.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures.

14. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says

It’s darling! I have a little trumeau mirror on my loooong list of to-do’s as well. Great job!! :)

Just fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing with us how you made that great-looking piece. I’m no good a mitering either…I didn’t even notice the little corner until you mentioned it. I saw your post featured over at “Common Ground” blog party…congrats!

Looks great! I used that same applique on our bathroom project. It’s so pretty. I feel the same way when I do projects. I think it’s a normal feeling.