Mother’s Day Craft~Personalized Candles

personalized_candle_mothers day_

While browsing Pinterest for Mother’s Day projects to do with my kiddos, I came across this fun idea for making Personalized Candles. After seeing the idea on the blog Come Together KidsI knew it would be the perfect gift for the grandmas this year!

All you will need are white or off-white candles, tissue paper, wax paper and the acrylic paints of your choice. You can see I’m not partial to any one brand, just whatever happens to be on sale!

Cut a piece of tissue paper slightly smaller than the size of the candle.
I just wrapped one around to gauge the correct width/length.

Place the tissue paper on top of a piece of wax paper so that the paint doesn’t soak through onto your work surface. At this point it is important for your kids to understand the meaning of the word “dab”. As in, “you can’t just glop on the paint and smear it all around, you need to dab it gently.

Oh good grief, now we have to do this again!”
This might happen several times and may or may not have you momentarily question why you bother attempting crafts with your children…just sayin’!

We did a little flower garden complete with blue fluffy clouds and the really neat part is that the entire thing is made up of their precious little fingerprints!

Wait for the tissue paper to completely dry.
Then take your tissue artwork and wrap it around your candle.
Cover this with another piece of wax paper and be sure to have a nice tight grip on it.

Next, take a blow dryer and on high heat slowly and gently apply the heat to the wax paper working your way around the candle.
I literally put the nozzle of the blow dryer right on the wax paper because I soon realized that it needed that direct heat to adhere to the candle.
You will see the tissue paper slowly disappearing and the artwork becoming “one” with the candle.

And that is all there is to it!!
A sweet and simple Mother’s Day craft which really could be customized for any special occasion!

We will be adding a pretty candle holder to go with the personalized candles to
And I have a feeling these will be candles that will never actually be lit, don’t you?

I hope you are having a fantastic week so far and as always we so appreciate you stopping by to visit us at the Fence today!

I think I may have to copy this one and have my kids get painting tonight. What a perfect gift for Mother’s Day.

What a cute idea! I love giving those gifts you can’t find a store. I also understand the questioning if it’s worth doing crafts at some point during the kid/crafting process. You are a great mom and making memories that will last a lifetime!

This is too cute. I’m going to leave your blog open tonight on the computer and hope daddy sees it and gets a great idea for Mother’s Day (not sure it will work but I can dream can’t I). Happy Mother’s Day to you.

What a fun project! I miss craft time with little ones. :( I’d love to do this with my nephew for my sister for Mother’s Day though. Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa- What a sweet, sweet project. It is always so much fun to see the sense of accomplishment the kids feel when they make something. Headed over to vote for you sweetie! xo Diana

What? Oh my goodness, I think that is the neatest craft idea. I just have to try it myself. I love any creative idea with candles. I’m old enough to know how to “dab”, too. I’ve been dabbing stuff on this 50 face of mine since it was a 30 face. Same principle, right?

That is soo cool! And Vanessa, you’re too funny about the crafting with children. I think the same thing nearly every time I do too!! haha Thanks for sharing. I’m off to vote for you lovely ladies! Good luck. =)

~ Catie

Oh, my goodness. I can’t believe this! So you didn’t use any kind of glue or anything on the candles? This is so cool!

I hope the appropriate people looked away from this post, but if they didn’t, I think they’ll still be delighted with their Mother’s Day gifts. :)

Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home! I appreciate it so much.

This is such a cute idea, I am definately doing this with my kids for them to give to the grandmas for mother’s day, and it would make a great teacher’s gift. Thanks for sharing.