Firecracker 4th of July Jello Shots!

Firecracker 4th of July Jello Shots

Nothing screams party like a jello shot and these easy to make Firecracker 4th of July Jello Shots are no exception!

I’ve always had an obsession with firecrackers.  I know they aren’t pretty or sparkly, they’re more dangerous and scary, which could be say something about my inner firecracker gal.

Maybe it’s the thrill of lighting them and then hoping you can run fast and far enough before they go off.  As a kid we used to light whole packs of them at once…awww, c’mon I know I’m not the only one. In high school the boys would go into a field and have a firecracker and bottle rocket war, while us girls cringed and screamed behind cars caught in the crossfire.  That was the good old days before we got all weird about things that might actually harm kids.

Firecracker 4th of July Jello Shots

Well, these firecrackers aren’t one bit dangerous…just darn good.  Okay so if you have the “grown-up” version you might be taking a walk on the wild side…but it’s worth it!  The girl and I had so much fun making these…we think you will too!

4th of July Jello Firecracker Shots!

4th of July Jello Firecracker Shots!

Ingredients

• 1-1/3 cups boiling water, divided
  • 1 package (3 oz.) JELL-O Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin
  • 1 package (3 oz.) JELL-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
  • 1 envelope KNOX Unflavored Gelatine
  • 1 cup milk, divided
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 20 maraschino cherries with stems, well drained, patted dry

Instructions

• ADD 2/3 cup boiling water to berry gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Repeat with cherry gelatin mix. Cool.
  • MEANWHILE, sprinkle unflavored gelatine over 1/4 cup milk in medium bowl; let stand 5 min. Bring remaining milk to boil in saucepan. Remove
  • from heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Add to plain gelatine mixture; stir until gelatine is completely dissolved. Cool 10 min.
  • SPOON berry gelatin into 20 (1-oz.) plastic shot glasses sprayed lightly with cooking spray, adding about 2 tsp. to each. Refrigerate 15 min. or
  • until set but not firm.
  • TOP with unflavored gelatin mixture, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 10 min. Insert cherry, stem end up, into white gelatin layer
  • in each cup. Refrigerate 2 min.
  • COVER with cherry gelatin, adding about 2 tsp. to each cup. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
  • Remove from cups before serving.
  • Here’s two fabulous “adult” versions that will REALLY make these firecrackers pop!!
  • Adults Only alcoholic Variation: Prepare as directed, reducing the boiling water to 1 cup and dissolving each of the berry and cherry gelatin mixes in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir 1/4 cup vodka into each flavor of gelatin, then continue as directed.
  • Spiked Cherries Adults Only Variation: Place cherries in a glass jar. Add 1/2 cup vodka; cover with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate at least 2 hours; drain. Pat dry, then use as directed.

There you have it! An easy and adorable 4th of July jello shot recipe perfect for a summer evening!!  Just make sure you don’t eat them all before your guests arrive…they may be disappointed if they only find one left…Winking smile

Fourth of July Fire Cracker Jello Shots (kid and adult version)

signature

UPDATED TO ADD: I purchased the shot glasses at Party City.  They are 1.5 oz.

Comments

Oh my gosh, Heather! These shots are gorgeous! And they sound delicious!!! Thank you so so much for sharing them at our Summer Blog Party…you rock. Oh, and I’m pinning them! They will be a definite at our 4th of July bbq this year…thank you!

Haha I was only 10 lines in before I was thinking “What about the vodka?” Good thing you added that recipe – now I know what to make for the upcoming adults party! thanks for the awesome idea!
    Stacy

I just love cute little themey food. Technically, I love all food, but it just appeals to me so much when it’s something like this. I’m not even that fond of jello, but when it’s done creatively I love it. Figure that one out…

4. Katie says

These look awesome! I can’t wait to give this recipe a try! It’s funny how your perception changes as you get older. I feel the same way–looking back at the irresponsible use of fireworks as a teenager!

5. Shannon says

These are so much fun! I am the only one in my extended family who will eat Jello but these just might sway some of those fuddy duddies to loosen up for the 4th! Thank you for stopping by my blog today via Debbiedoo’s Newbie party. It was my first time and I loved it! I’m having a great time exploring your wonderful blog. I’m definitely going to try the tissue paper transfer idea–fantastic! I love that you blog together–what a wonderful way to stay connected. So happy to have been introduced to you today! :)

I am definitely creating these cuties for the next family gathering on July 4th! they WILL be the adult variety, BTW. LOL They are simply “the BOMB”. :-).Sue

Thanks for giving us the adult versions too … and now I must ponder whether or not it would be a good idea to bring these to the annual 4th celebration we attend … not sure those attending need any addition “help” if you know what I mean!

Hope you’re having a fab time at Haven! Wish I was there …

Linda

These are soooo fun! I’m making the ADULT version this 4th of July. Slurp! I shared your jello shots today on my 4th of July Favorites. Thanks for making Independence Day more fun than it already is!

9. Anonymous says

WEAK! To really make adult jello shots – you use a FULL cup (6 oz) of vodka (I used UV red, UV blue, & UV coconut with the knox – no need for milk as the milky UV coconut add’s the white) per cup of boiling water added to jell-o mix.
    Then…. I soaked my marachino cherries in EVERCLEAR for two full weeks before adding them to the top layer.

I made these before my wife linked me to this article saying “someone stole your idea!”

I call mine “Cherry bombs!” (seriously, the everclear soaked cherries are like a literal bomb) And then with the stem sticking out, you can LIGHT the stem for added affect!

• says

Hi anonymous! I would love to respond to you directly but since I don’t have a way, I’ll reply here. First…they are “weak” because they are meant to be a kid friendly version. the “adult” version is for those that want a little extra kick for their adult guests, so I would say definitely not “frat party” jello shots, but still good! SECOND…I assure you I did not “steal” this idea since I very clearly give KRAFT FOODS full credit for the recipe, so if you need to take that up with someone I’m sure Kraft has a way for you to contact them and then finally THIRD…you can’t technically steal recipes anyway. That said if you’d love to share the link to your recipe somewhere on the web I would be happy to link back to it to share another alternative to this fun idea..which sounds awesome with lighting the stem. :) Have a great day!

Heather

• Anonymous says

Hey there,
      Sorry about coming off as a jerk with my post, that’s not what I intended. I was trying to be facetious and have fun with it and just share my take on the recipe. After I hit “publish” and read what I wrote, I kinda cringed at how it sounded. My bad!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this and kudos to you on a fine and fun recipe!

Thanks for your time!

10. Erin says

Instead of normal vodka I used whipped cream vodka with the berry blue and Swedish fish vodka for the strawberry. I also tossed 3/4 cup vodka and 1/4 cup sprite instead of the cold water for the jello. Tastes sooo good an definitely not weak :) Play with flavored vodkas, so fun!

11. Noelle says

After the white part in the center sets and you pour the red jello layer on top, the hot jello mix melts the white part and messes it all up. So what you actuLly end up with is a blue layer on the bottom and a milky red layer on top. Thank you for wasting my time and money.

• says

I’m so sorry this happened Noelle. I have made these several times and I’ve not had that happen, so I’m not sure why they did that. I apologize they did not turn out correctly. ~Heather

1. […] in time for your own celebrations! So, let’s take a look back at A Picket Fence 4th of July! “4th of July Jello Firecracker Shots” “Patriotic Pool Noodle Firecrackers” “Tissue Paper Firecrackers” “4th of July […]

2. […] Firecracker Jello Shots (At the Picket Fence) Nothing says “I just graduated college, but I’m still trying to be fancy” like a layered jello shot. Impress all your friends with these deliciously patriotic jellies. Spoiler alert: I made them for my 4th of July bash this year, and they’re great. Just make sure your jello has cooled down a bit before you try to layer or the colors will bleed. […]