Thanksgiving Tablescape, Corn Husk Flowers and a Linky Party!

Like many people, having family spread out across the country means

we often have to combine our holidays or celebrate them “off season”.
We may be totally confusing our children but at least we have the memories, right?

On a side note, one time I took my then 3 year old son to visit my parents before Halloween and dressed him up in his little train engineer costume, had him go out their back door, walk around the yard to the front door and ring the doorbell so that he could “trick-or-treat” at Nonna and Poppa’s house.

We have no shame.

Often, Thanksgiving and Christmas wind up being combined at our house which could make it easy to just skip right over this lovely day set aside for gathering together and giving thanks.
But, I’m determined to keep it special and to help my kids remember what it’s all about.
I know at many homes, the children sit at the “kids’ table”.
But, at our house, the added mayhem of having them at the “grown-up table” is what makes Thanksgiving so special.
Even the occasional escaped “toot” is forgiven when we are all hopped up on Turkey!

One tradition we are starting this year is the making of our
“What Are You Thankful For? Table Runner”

The only supplies you will need for this simple craft are:
A roll of Butcher Paper
Leaf Cutouts
And here is how you make it:

Don’t forget to put some crayons on the table so that your guests can add to it!

Who knew that a butcher paper table runner layered over a burlap tablecloth could look so elegant?

Another tradition I cherish is using heirloom pieces in my table settings.
The glasses are part of a set that my grandmother (my mom’s mom) began collecting for Heather and myself when we were young and added to over the years.
She passed away right before Christmas last year and every time I see these they remind me of her and her love for all things “vintage”.
The silverware belonged to my husband’s grandmother and was given to us as a wedding gift.
I love having both sides of the family heritage represented on one table.

Last year, I found myself thrilled by the endless uses for Corn Husks and some of you may even remember my Corn Husk Wreath.
Well, believe it or not, I still had some corn husks left over and I still wasn’t about to actually use them to make tamales.
So, I decided to try my hand at making a

Corn Husk Flower Napkin Ring

Here’s how to make these:

1) Gather your tools: curling iron, scissors, corn husks, hot glue gun
2) Take a small, narrow piece of corn husk and twist and wrap into a “knot”
3) Cut petal shapes out of the corn husks
4) Glue petals around the knot to resemble a flower
5) Use curling iron to curl back each corn husk petal
6) While curling corn husk petals, wonder if your hair will forever smell like tamales
7) Take a wider corn husk piece and dampen with water to make pliable
8) Roll into ring shape and glue ends together
9) Using hot glue gun, attach flower to ring
10) Wrap a small piece of corn husk around the base of the flower to cover where it attaches to the ring and glue it in place.

Keeping things simple and natural are the name of the game this year.

Glass Dollar Tree plates were decoupaged with images from The Graphics Fairy and then topped with a little grapevine wreath, also from Dollar Tree.

An old tool caddy filled with autumnal (don’t you love that word?) goodies and mercury glass votives rests on a bed of branches.

A sweet twiggy pumpkin sits on top of a small urn.

And real pumpkins on top of mercury glass candlesticks add just the right finishing touch.
I think I can safely stop worrying about my kids sitting down for Thanksgiving someday with their in-laws and asking if they are going to open presents after dinner!

The only thing that could possibly make things more special, is if we were celebrating this Thanksgiving with my beautiful sister, her wonderful family and a glass of this
Pumpkin Pie Latte
she shared yesterday!
pumpkin, pie, latte, coffee, Thanksgiving

We’re so excited to be sharing both of these posts as part of this awesome celebration of
 Thanksgiving Traditions!

How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?
Do you have special recipes, decor, traditions, crafts?

We want to see them!
Link up here to join in the fun as we travel from the North, South, East and West celebrating together!
Here are the rules for linking up!

…and here are the fabulous projects already shared by the hostesses:
Settings for Four…Tablescape and Maple Acorn Squash
A Cottage Industry-Thanksgiving Leftovers Printables
Mrs. Hines Class-Pork Tenderloin in Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and a Fall Mantel

We’ll be featuring our favorites…so link up!

Email Updates
Facebook Page

I absolutely love your table setting and corn husk napkin rings Vanessa! Sweet kids craft too! Heather’s yummy drink will be one I make often now too! Your heirloom glassware and silverware is stunning. Thanks for cohosting this party with us :)

Thanks so much for the awesome party! I linked up my thankful board, I’m so excited to use it this year with my kids : ) : ) Thanksgiving is so fun…eeeek. Can you tell I’m excited! I put a link in my post and now off to check out the others : )

Love, love, love this table setting! Original, inviting, Autumn – ish, simply perfect! The idea of ” What are you thankful for? ” table runner is brilliant!!! Awesome job!

I love that you use hand-me-downs to set your table. To me, those are the most cherished things that I have and such a great idea to bring them out on special occasions! Great post!

I really love the napkins rings. I happen to have left over husks as well from when I copied you with the wreath. (It’s hanging in a different spot this year, but it’s still hanging.) I have pinned this to try.

Vanessa, I love all the different textures you have added to the tablesetting from rustic to shabby chic (as they say). But, most of all how special your children feel by sharing the table with the adults and letting them share what they are thankful for. Girl, this is where I fell short, was teaching gratitude with my two. I encourage you to instill this while they are young.

Ah, nothing says Thanksgiving like a random toot or two from the kids (or grandpa)!

Love a craft where I can break out my curling iron – it really hasn’t gotten much action since the 80’s!

I so loved reading about your traditions…the love of God and family..and the memories of the past and making beautiful memories in the moment. We had started that tradition a long time ago with writing our thoughts of what we were thankful for..our blessings… on craft paper on the table. Our Thanksgiving table could have up to 40 people at a time…of family, extended family and friends who are alone at Thanksgiving…Thanksgiving was always my dad’s favorite holiday…as he would say, I love that day because we all gather tougher to give thanks and count our blessings and not count our presents!…:)

9. Anonymous says

Love the table setting and all the reminders of days gone by. Can hardly wait to be together at Thanksgiving and an early Christmas with you, too! We do what we can when we can, huh? Love you, Mom

Your dining room looks wonderful! I love the tool caddy all decked out for the holidays. The napkin rings are so cute, and wow, what a fantastic idea for the table runner!! Everyone will have so much fun adding to it, and what a keepsake for your family…remembering what everyone is thankful for.
    Debbie :)

What a lovely post, Vanessa. I love your centerpiece, and I really like the Dollar Store plates with pretty graphics and grapevine! I think I have some corn husks left over, so I will have to try out the corn husk napkin rings–they’re lovely!

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this subject for a while and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you positive about the supply?

1. […] in a pretty vase and you have….Linking this craft at these great linky parties:-The DIY Showoff–At the Picket Fence–C.R.A.F.T.- -Uncommon Designs-google_ad_client = "ca-pub-0886170766488099"; /* under post */ […]