At The Picket Fence….our Holiday Houses!

Holiday House Walk 2012 At The Picket Fence

WELCOME Friends, old and new, to the FOURTH house (or we should say HOUSES) on the 2012 Holiday House Walk Tour! We are Heather and Vanessa of At The Picket Fence and we were ecstatic to find out we were the next stop on the tour after our dear friend, and surprise tour house, KariAnne of Thistlewood Farm! Have you EVER seen such a gorgeous farmhouse?!

We are so honored to be joining in with some of the most fabulous homes and blogs on the web and we want to thank Jennifer for inviting us to participate.  So we throw open the doors and welcome you to our homes!

Up first we ask you to walk on in the front door of Heather’s country home in the heart of the rolling hills of Kentucky.

Christmas 2012 Kitchen from At The Picket Fence

Welcome to my country kitchen, the heart of our home! Many of you know that I recently remodeled our kitchen and this is the first Christmas we have celebrated with it completely done! I’m in love with every detail of it!

Christmas 2012 Kitchen At The Picket Fence

The white cabinetry, beadboard backspash and dark counters, make it the perfect canvas for the bright reds, fresh greens and vintage touches I love.

Christmas 2012 Kitchen Collage At The Picket Fence

I decided to go simple this year, with my “birds of a feather” Kitchen tree, nestled an red metal bucket.  I love using fresh evergreen and these mini trees fit the bill! I love the tiny book page Christmas trees resting on antique spools, and my vintage kitchen scale was the perfect place to stack these bright and fun mini ceramic loaf pans.

Right off our kitchen is our formal dining room that also recently had a complete transformation.

Christmas 2012 Dining Room At The Picket Fence

Fresh red poinsettias nestle in a tureen brought back years ago by my mother-in-law from Shakespeare’s birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon.

My snowflake wreath from Christmas 2011 has held up for another holiday and is right at home on my framed chalkboard.  Pinecones placed in vintage silver goblets and a sweet little vignette of bottle brush trees in an apothecary jar round out my dining room holiday decor!

Since my powder room is located right off the front hallway, I knew it needed to get in on the Christmas decorating action. I picked up this darling little turquoise tinsel tree last year at Christmas, and it seems right at home in a galvanized bucket on this industrial stool.

Christmas 2012 Powder Room Tree At The Picket Fence

Of course I had to decorate it with tangerine ornaments to tie in my tangerine ceiling!

Christmas 2012 Powder Room At The Picket Fence

Painting my mantel is one project I still have yet to do, so instead of fighting the brick and wood I decided this year to compliment it by decorating the living room in browns, metallics and blues.  I love these whimsical trees and my faux galvanized JOY letters.

Christmas 2012 Mantel At The Picket Fence

This is the second year I’ve placed my tree in this large copper pot, and I love the streamlined look!

Flocked Blue and Brown Christmas Tree from At The Picket Fence

Christmas 2012 Living Room At The Picket Fence

Again, going with the theme of simplicity this year, I allowed the mantel and my flocked tree to take center stage in our great room.

Thank you so much for taking a little mini holiday tour of our Kentucky home, up next we’re headed to Vanessa’s house in the Pacific Northwest where she’s sharing some of her favorite holiday rooms!

Welcome to my home in beautiful Oregon! I’m so thrilled to be apart of this Holiday House Tour and just wish I could literally invite you all in for some cider…or eggnog…or a pumpkin spice latte…which technically you’d have to pick up at the nearest Starbucks before coming over, but you get the idea, right?

I may live in the land of logging and flannels but my home is a nod to the traditional all the way!

The first room on your left when you come through my front door is the living room.

Decorating a living room at Christmas At the Picket Fence

I love color and my home is a reflection of that but this year I decided to offset things by going with a more creamy palette.

Christmas decorating At the Picket Fence

I was so excited when I opened up the bins in the attic (after having several “Chevy Chase” moments and knocking my head on the beams over and over!) and discovered some glittery Christmas trees I had gotten on clearance last year. It made my mantel decorating so much easier!

I was also thrilled to score this beautiful mirror at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in early November and I knew it would be the perfect addition to the room just in time for Christmas.

Traditional Christmas mantel At the Picket Fence

If you were to walk in the front door (pumpkin spice latte in hand!) you would be greeted by my favorite feature of our home, my staircase. It will be getting a bit of a face lift the first of the year but for now it is accented with giant pine cones, greenery and simple bows.

Decorating with pine cones on garland

My dining room is just beyond the living room and the traditional feel continues. The furniture in this room is among the very first we bought as newlyweds and while it goes slightly more formal, it fits perfectly with the architecture and style of our home. So don’t expect to see it getting a coat of chalk paint anytime soon!

I kept things simple on the sideboard with a silver champagne bucket and cranberries.

Christmas dining room 2012 At the Picket Fence

If you were to venture on further, you would know that you were in the heart of my home. It’s where we do our real living and there you would find a Christmas tree with paper ornaments and a train running around the bottom.  Toys are scattered across the floor and crumbs across the kitchen table. A Nativity advent calendar that my children love but isn’t the most…ahem…”attractive” is hanging on the pantry door. And, as much as I love all of my pretty things I’m showing you here today, that part of the house is my most favorite.

But, this is all that I can show you today…

Christmas kitchen sideboard At the Picket Fence

So, maybe you’ll have to come back again to see the rest…crumbs and all!

Mason Jar Snow globe At the Picket Fence

Join us tomorrow as we move onto the next “street” on the 2012 Holiday House Walk where we will be visiting the lovely Beth of Homestories A to Z! We can’t wait to  tour her gorgeous home!

2012 Holiday House Walk Tour

To see all of the lovely homes on the 2012 Holiday House Walk be sure to visit our hostess, Jennifer Rizzo and thank you for visiting our homes here….At The Picket Fence!

I love your homes…they are just beautiful.
    Your collages showing the close ups of some of the little vignettes are wonderful…
    Merry Christmas!

Oh my wonderful creative friends… was such a blessing having hot tea with you this morning. And I think I need another cup because I spent so much time over here absolutely *sighing* over your pictures.

You are both such a total blessing to me!

Merry Christmas to you my wonderful friends!

Thistle recently posted..2012 Holiday HousewalkMy Profile

3. Chenoa says

Beautiful! Thanks for “inviting” us into your homes! I’m hoping to see the “real thing” at Vanessa’s this week! And, Heather, I LOVE the tangerine accents in your powder room!

Your homes look gorgeous, very festive and cozy. Especially love the tinsel tree in the powder bath! Happy holidays to you both and thank you for welcoming us into your homes.

What beautiful, beautiful holiday homes, sweet friends! Heather, I love your NOEL sign … your birds of a feather tree and the vintage touches. Your tinsel tree is too cute, and I love that you placed it in a galvanized bucket … love the copper ornaments you added to your main tree, too! Vanessa, your living room is wonderful (love your tree and your amazing Christmas mantel) … your lush garland on your stairway is stunning … and, your dining room centerpiece is rockin’ (love the deer). You bet I’ll be back for more! Thanks for the tour! xo

Both of your homes are just beautiful and they are REAL to me! I love the simple touches, little tress as accents and decorating with what you have. Lovely!

7. Carol Reddin says

Girls, thanks for the fun tours. Of course, I’ve already seen yours “in person” Vanessa – and I’ll get to see Heather’s in two weeks. So proud of you both for making your homes warm and welcoming to any and all! That’s the most important thing, huh?

Love you,

So glad I don’t have to chose which one of your homes I like better, because they are both so beautiful. You added just the right touches in each and every room to create some amazing Christmas charm. Thanks so much for giving us a tour.

9. Tammie says

I LOVE crumbs. HA I love you home and all the decor but I love that you reminded us all that you have toys and crumbs. I will return. Thanks for allowing me in.

Hi ladies! I’m drooling all over my puter looking at your beautiful homes! Love all the special Christmas touches and you’re both an inspiration to us all in blogland – and you’re jut babies! :)
    Be a couple of sweeties,
    Shelia :)

Heather and Vanessa…your homes are so beautifully decorated for Christmas….you both have such great attention to detail and have made your homes a haven for your families to enjoy during this joyous season…

Vanessa…love your entry with the gorgeous staircase…and the pillow on the chair just lets those who enter know that there is true “joy” in your home.

Heather…I love your birds of a feather theme…love your trees..from the kitchen tree, to the turquoise tree in the powder room…and the copper pot is fantastic…you also project “joy” in every corner of your home…

Thanks for the wonderful tour!!!

12. Grey says

I so enjoyed visiting your lovely homes today! Thank you–and I am from Kentucky, now in South Carolina–I miss it and my family still there. It can be difficult to keep in touch, so I am glad to see you all have it worked out in such a fun way by blogging.

Wow, ladies–your holiday homes are just fabulous! Heather, I love your bright powder room with tangerine and blue, and the tureen from Stratford-Upon-Avon–OMG! I just did a Shakespeare audition last weekend, so I am a lover of the Bard:) And Vanessa, what a gorgeous swag you have on your mantel–I love the way you hung it, and that champagne bucket with the cranberries is just perfect on your sideboard. Love it all! Thank you so much for sharing your homes with us!

Both of your homes are beautifully decked out for Christmas! You are both such talented ladies with a wonderful sense of style. I’m now wondering where all of this family talent came from and would love to see your mom’s house!

Hey girls! Your holiday homes are beautiful! I enjoyed the tours and catching up with you! So fun to hang out at the fence and see what you girls have been up to! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Blessings to you! Christie

-The second section of the test is a practical analysis.
    The very first thing to look at is the school’s accreditation.
    You can check with the licensing authority of
    the respective state for the CNA certification renewal steps. recently Profile