Winter Decorating

Our Christmas tree finally bit the dust. It was pretty much fossilized.
When the ornaments start sliding off and the pine odor is so overwhelming to almost be offensive you know it’s well past it’s prime!

As I as removing ornaments and lights (and having my hands ripped apart from the fossilized branches) I was thinking about how I can still keep the feeling of winter in my home even without my Christmas decor.

I think I’ll keep my little gold pine cones clustered on a plate.

decorating with pine cones

And the basket in my entry with greenery and branches.

greenery in basket At the Picket Fence

And I love that my amaryllis which looked so sorry and sad when I bought it is now blooming in all it’s glory.

amaryllis At the Picket Fence

I needed to recover from the experience of watching most of the pine needles land in my carpet before the tree was taken out by heading over to Pinterest for some more Winter Decorating Inspiration!

Here are just a few of some of the fantastic ideas I’ve seen for keeping a touch of Winter in your home long after the Holiday’s are over:

Pine cone Topiary from Somewhat Simple

Pinecone Topiary 3

Winter Mantel from BHG

Simple Seasonal Change

Hanging Pine Cone Door Decor

Winter Bountiful Bowl from Midwest Living

Simple Winter Centerpiece

Winter Terrarium

Winter+terrarium+1 DIY Wedding Idea: Winter Landscape Centerpiece

So, what about you?

Do you like to keep some winter-y decor in your home after Christmas?

What tips do you have for making that transition?

I’ll be back soon with some more of my home wrapped in winter and look forward to meeting you here again at the Fence,

1553F4F30A9801A6AFB3E9C624118E7B

Comments

1. Betty Sneeringer says

I do like to hang on to winter for awhile but, here in Central Florida it is a challenge – my snowman banner looks a little foolish on the warmest days. This year I am thinking maybe try to use light things and maybe some sparkle, like frost. Ummm. What to do?

Love all your winter decor picks! I’ll put away the overtly Christmas decor and leave all the wintery stuff out. It’s only been officially winter for several days! We live in a snowy climate, and you just have to embrace all things wintery here for awhile- at least until Valentine’s day : )

Jeanette
    Jeanette @ Creating a Life recently posted..***Wonderful***My Profile

Love the inspiration pictures! Our tree came down the day after christmas, first time ever but it was on the dead side, I think had I turned the lights on it would have blown up. So the house looked so bare and naked so I’m thinking this year I will add touches of winter otherwise it will have to wait till spring, I don’t think i can wait that long. Happy new year my friends!
    XO
    Kristin

Oh I LOVE decorating for the Seasons and sometimes I think Winter gets over looked with all the Christmas hustle and bustle. So this is a GREAT post and reminder. :)
    Thanks for sharing it!
    Angelina
    Angelina recently posted..A BAD hair day!!My Profile

I am not sure what I will do yet.We still have our Christmas decor up and will stay up until my daughter heads back to school.I am in a lazy mode and am not ready to put things away yet.I may leave out some pine cones.But honestly I need some life in here.I am headed to the store today to pick up some fresh flowers.My paper whites have seen better days!
    xx
    Anne
    Anne recently posted..What a Year!My Profile

Our tree is looking very brittle but we haven’t lost any needles so I’m hoping we get another week or so out of it…it’s so sad to say goodbye to it!! I love these winter decorating ideas, I can really use a few, especially for my mantel. Thanks so much!

XO,
    Jane
    Jane recently posted..HO HO HO. IS IT REALLY OVER?My Profile

Our tree is down and decorations in one room gone for another season.
    I keep my pine cones out and my Amaryllis is still blooming.
    Have a Happy New Year! All the Best in 2013. Linda

LOL – I hate Winter so I tend to want to FORGET it’s still out there! As soon as the Christmas decorations are put away and the house has a good cleaning . . . up go the Valentine decorations! It helps keep everything cheerful and the red, white and pink make me smile. After those come down there’s a sad lull until the Easter decorations go up though so I may try to incorporate some of these ideas to fill in the ‘gap’!
    Lauren recently posted..Don’t Toss Those Cards!My Profile

9. Carol Reddin says

I love keeping some decorations for a few weeks after Christmas. It’s a good transition & keeps me feeling a bit more festive!

10. Doris G says

Next year stop by a store that sells real trees and pay a couple of dollars for a plastic tree bag. It is this ingenious idea! You open it up an put it under your tree, and it protects the floor from water, etc. But the magic happens when you are ready to take it down: Simply pull the bag up around the tree, tie it up at the top and get that thing out of the house without spending 3 hours getting up the needles!

• At The Picket Fence says

Thank you so much for your kind words Erin! So glad you stopped by and hope we see lots more of you in the future! :-)
      Vanessa

Thanks. I will be taking the trees down on 12th night. That’s next Sunday, and I have been seeking ideas for winter decor. Luv your ideas.
    Happy New Year Vanessa.
    Cheers, Gee

I love to decorate for winter too…I just can’t skip ahead to spring. I’ll leave some baskets of greenery, the pinecones hanging on ribbons, etc., through February. My rule is whatever is growing outside is what I use inside. Happy New Year!!!