Winter Terrarium

winter bird scene in bowl

I’m noticing a theme around here.The theme is glass containers with winter-y things stuck inside and some form of faux snow.

Although, can only 2 projects be considered a theme? Is a theme like accessories where it’s better when grouped together in odd numbers?

You see, the other day I shared how to make a Pine Cone Terrarium  and today I’m showing this little creation and now I’m wondering if I’m going to have to come up with some other project involving a glass container with winter-y things stuck inside and some form of faux snow in order to have it be a true theme.

And I’m all out of faux snow. So….maybe we’ll call this a “kick” instead of theme OK? As in “Vanessa is on this whole winter craft kick.” That sounds more like it!

Winter Birds Nest in snow

This “kick” I’m on has everything to do with the fact that I’ve never been good at bridging that gap between Christmas and Spring when it comes to decor. So my house ends up looking fairly seasonally schizophrenic which then ends up making me feel about the same way!

winter birds nest craft2

These simple little crafts really helped me to feel a bit more focused and fill in some of those empty expanses staring me in the face after the Christmas decorations came down.

This winter scene was inspired by one featured on Midwest Living. I figured that even though I live in the Pacific NW I could still get away with copying it! You don’t have to live in the Midwest to appreciate a 5 minute craft, right?

A little faux snow in the bottom of a glass bowl, a birds nest, 2 snowy birds guarding the eggs in the nest and some fresh pine sprigs were all it took to complete this project.

winter bird craft1 at the picket fence

While this project was super easy to do, figuring out what to call it wasn’t quite as simple.

Here are the candidates I came up with:

1. Winter Bird Scene in Bowl

2. Birds of a Feather Flock Together…especially when it’s cold!

3. A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in a Bowl

4. There’s No Business Like “Snow” Business

Winter Birds Nest craft at the picket fence

Personally I think number 4 has a pretty good chance of winning, don’t you? ;-)

What do you think this craft should be called?

I’m sure you could come up with something far more appropriate and catchy than I could!

Because if you don’t, I might resort to calling this project, “one flew over the cuckoo’s nest in a bowl of snow”.

Which would lead to you all thinking I am cuckoo too. As if you don’t already!

Thanks so much for joining me at the Fence today,

1553F4F30A9801A6AFB3E9C624118E7B

Sharing this post here:

Tuesdays Treasures

Tutorials Tips and Tidbits

emailfacebookpinteresttwitter
Would you like to know when we have an updated post? Sign-up for free to receive them in your in-box!
Enter your Email:
Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Comments

Haha, can’t come up with any name better than your cute ideas.

Regardless, looks awesome – and you know how much I love my birdies.

I do have to admit I am leaning toward Cuckoo’s Nest though…………….

Cute post.

Oh so very pretty! I love them. I’ve never decorated for ‘winter’ before I joined blogging last spring. And wow, I’m loving it! I’ve done my mantle and a couple of wreaths so far. After seeing this post, I really have to do something like this because they are beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Debbie :)
    Debbie recently posted..Recycled Christmas TreeMy Profile

I think you pretty much covered it all :-) I call it too cute!! My glass container has faux snow and a pine cone… not very interesting at all. Yours is much cuter.
    Cheers, Gee

4. Michael Reddin says

Please do not label yourself as “cuckoo.” That would be a reflection on your “gene pool, especially on your mother’s side of the family!” I entitle this as, “White birds in a nest with that ‘Longing to be in Arizona’ look in their eyes.” – Dad

I got a very good giggle from today’s post!!! I have the same trouble with decor after Christmas. I seem to be done with it for awhile!!! Using glass is something that I am drawn to. I love it’s smooth clear non-color this time of year… like ice! Whatever you call it… call it a walk in the winter wood!

I love your wintery craft “kick,” Vanessa and can truly relate to trying to bridge the gap between winter and Spring. The birds look very cozy nestled on your faux snow! And, hmmm … all of the names you chose sound great to me! Happy Sunday!
    Becca recently posted..A New AdditionMy Profile

7. Debbiecz says

I think I commented earlier that this post came at the perfect time as I was about to remove the holiday mantel decor. As luck would have it I went to Michaels to find the bird (mine were of course packed away plus none were white) and a few supplies to do a Valentines wreath. It was going to be a Crafty Weekend Extravaganza! But of course the bird selection was skimpy and no heart shaped wreath forms. We decoupaged cigar boxes instead. The bird mantle will have to wait till next year and I’ll keep my eyes peeled at Goodwill!

I have birds on the brain, too!

I’m calling mine harbingers of spring — not an especially poetic name — but wishful thinking. I’m done with winter and ready for spring.

I love your lovely bird under (inside) glass. He’d go well with my collection in my foyer. So, if he goes missing, you know where to look.