A Love Story

Pottery Barn Inspired Mercury Glass Cloche

Recently I fell in love. Mercury Glass Cloche love. But, the cost of this love was just too high.

So, I had to settle for what might have seemed to be second best at the time, but in reality turned out to be the perfect one for me all along.

That Pottery Barn kind of love is just too expensive for this heart!

All I had to do was take a mercury glass candlestick, add a round mirror and a glass dome and voila…love blossomed right before my eyes.

mirror on mercury glass candlestick

Of course this lovey-dovey stuff made me think back to falling in love with my one and only many moons ago. We have been on a lot of adventures together and one of my most favorite has to be our trip to Europe in 2002. It was truly a dream come true for this Anglophile to roam the streets of Bath, marvel at sheep grazing in a pasture in the Cotswolds, gaze up at Big Ben and watch a production of “My Fair Lady” in the theater district. I felt very close to Jane Austen. And Charlotte Bronte.

And my husband too, of course! ūüėČ

I could think of nothing better to fill my romantic Mercury Glass Cloche with then mementos from this very romantic excursion.

mercury glass cloche2

And I couldn’t resist writing out on a chalkboard a line from one of my favorite songs right now…one of those ones that sticks in your head and you can’t get it out but in the end decide that you’re OK with that ’cause you like it so much!

Valentines day chalkboard

While sifting through photos and postcards I also remembered another souvenir that came back from England. Only this one came to me from my then boyfriend, now husband. He back-packed around Europe with friends after college graduation. We had only been dating for a few months and I wondered how him being gone would affect our relationship. But when he gave me this gift I knew I should never have worried.

stamp and wax

He knew.

He knew how much I would love something as simple as seeing my scrolled initial in brass on a beautiful wood-handled stamp. And how my heart would thrill at also having a bar of wax to melt down so that I could press that initial into it and seal those letters like I was royalty.

love letter with wax seal

But did he know that I secretly wished that the initial on it was different? That like the song, “I’d like to add his initial to my monogram”? At the time I dreamed about the day that he and I would have the same last name. And it wasn’t long before that dream came true.

And now I look at that stamp and I’m reminded of that sweet time in our lives. Of butterflies in my stomach and wondering if he was “The One”. Of long walks and even longer talks. Planning and dreaming of our future.

love letters and roses

I think back to that decision all of those years ago and marvel at how young we were. How much we didn’t know…couldn’t know about what the future held for us.

I think about the roller coaster ride of life…and how there is no one else in the world I would want to be strapped in next to as we go careening through it.

So, Happy Valentine’s Day to you, my love. Thank you for asking me to “add your initial to my monogram”.

It was the best thing I’ve ever done!

1553F4F30A9801A6AFB3E9C624118E7B

Sharing this here:

Grace at Home Party

Comments

Hi Vanessa,
    This is just the sweetet post and a tribute to the love of your life. I love the idea for the cloche and I might just have to borrow it. What a sweet gift that sealed a beautiful relationship.

hugs
    Sissie
    sissie recently posted..Enjoying the moment….My Profile

OMGosh Vanessa…I was in London back in 2002 with my then new fiance just about 10 days after the date on your ticket stub. I loved London…we were there for 4 days and then flew to Greece for another 10 days. What a small world! This is such a beautifully written and heartfelt post…isn’t new love wonderful? And as lovely as it is, building a life together filled with treasured memories is a priceless gift.
    Thank you so much for sharing this post with us.
    XO Barbara

• Vanessa says

Wow Barbara!! How crazy is that?! London was truly so amazing and I can’t wait to go back someday. Next time I’m hoping that Italy might be on the agenda!

3. FABBY says

I love your DIY cloche and I’m thinking I could copy you and if you didn’t tell me, I would think you bought it like that!! What a wonderful trip to Europe you had with your husband, a memory that will stay with you forever and how you fixed your cloche with the mementos of your romantic trip, is just fabulous!
    Fabby

4. Michael Reddin says

So glad you found each other and made it permanent nearly 15 years ago. Your love for each other has been a gift to us! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Mom and Dad

Oh sweet friend,

I LOVE this post! Of course you should never have worried…..he was perfect for you! Happy, happy Valentine’s Day to you and you are such a blessing to me my wonderful friend!

blessings,
    karianne
    Thistle recently posted..The Kiss of a LifetimeMy Profile

You are truly a romantic at heart, Vanessa! You always have such sweet stories to tell. Hope you get back to Europe again. :-) Maybe with the kiddos when they are old enough to appreciate the visit.
    Sue recently posted..Cupid LoveMy Profile

Lovely photos Vanessa and I enjoyed hearing about your trip to the UK. We went several years ago…truly the experience of a lifetime! You are blessed to have found your soul-mate too. :)

Vanessa, I love this post and I’m so grateful you linked it to Grace at Home! I featured it! :)

I didn’t realize that you, too, are a true Anglophile. Seems that with the popularity of the Harry Potter books and Downton Abbey that lots of people are jumping on that bandwagon–but I can spot the real deal! Love that your cloche display includes tickets to your visit of the Tower of London. Amazing, isn’t it? My favorite, though, may have been the Imperial War Museum. Wow. And my husband’s favorite was visiting Portsmouth; British naval history is an enduring interest of his. You should see his study–the artwork includes a couple of antique prints of British warships. They’re so beautiful!

Hope all is well with you, sweet friend.
    Richella @ Imparting Grace recently posted..Grace at Home No. 47–Welcome!My Profile