I Owe You an Apology…

No Sew Drop Cloth Table Skirt with Fringe At the Picket Fence

I had good intentions. The BEST intentions actually!

I was going to share with you a tutorial on how to make a no-sew drop cloth table skirt. I was going to show you how easy it is to make a round tablecloth. Because I have actually made one before. And I even sewed it instead of using liquid stitch!

I was going to do sketches and mathematical equations and throw around words like “diameter” and “circumference” and wow you with my sewing knowledge.

Then I went and took the easy way out.

no sew drop cloth table skirt at the picket fence

I bought the largest drop cloth I could find and laundered it to get that soft linen-y feel. After laying it on the floor I realized just how big it was. And this led to me wondering if I could just cut a giant circle out of the middle.

So I did.

I used another round tablecloth as my guide and just cut that big ol’ circle right out! It all happened so fast and I was so excited about the simplicity of this project until I remembered that I was really looking forward to showing you all how to make a no-sew table skirt the proper way.

I stood there in my foyer (which is the only place big enough for the largest sized drop cloth to be spread out) and I hung my head in shame.

Add bullion fringe to a drop cloth table skirt At the Picket Fence

Then I remembered that I still had to add the fringe. Oh, that glorious bullion fringe that I got for 40% off!

I quickly got out the Liquid Stitch and “stitched” it right on. And suddenly that simple drop cloth circle took on a more luxurious feel.

And the shame lifted.

I realized that, in reality, I actually HAD made a No-Sew Drop Cloth Table Skirt with Bullion Fringe just as I had set out to do in the very beginning.

roses on bedside table At the Picket Fence

And maybe, just maybe, I have in fact spared all of you from those dreadful words like “diameter” and “circumference“.

no sew fringed drop cloth table skirt At the Picket Fence

Because now you know that you can simply cut out a circle from a large drop cloth to make a table skirt.

Or you can just Google, “how to make a round tablecloth” and get the full tutorial from someone else.

Someone who will give you step-by-step instructions.

Someone who will probably include sketches.

Someone who would probably NEVER just cut out a giant circle from a drop cloth and call it good.

As for me, I’ll just be here, holding my head up high now that my coveting of the beautiful Ballard Designs table skirt with bullion fringe has had such a happy ending after all!

Thanks so much for joining me today at the Fence,

1. Michelle says

I love this. I’ll have to add this to my list of things I want to make this summer. It is gorgeous. Where did you find the trim?

I love it, Vanessa! It doesn’t get much easier than this! : ) This would be perfect in my master bedroom to cover our two Bombay side tables. Sometimes I’d like a different look and this would give me that without having to paint them or break the budget. I just need to get the glass for the top.
    Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions recently posted..Signs of SpringMy Profile

I’m so totally impressed and you didn’t even you those dreaded words! I have to do this, I love the look. It would be perfect for me because I’m no seamstress! I’ll have to go look for that drop cloth and fringe. Great post Ann.

The French Hutch

Love this project even without the step by step tutorial with glossy black and whites. And DUH…why didn’t I ever think of just using a round tablecloth that I have in my stash for the pattern. Its been a long winter, I guess my brain is just frozen for the moment. Thanks so much for sharing.

5. Miriam@bebookbound.blogspot.com says

Sometimes a 5 word instruction is better than a 15 page tutorial 😉 I absolutely love it! I may have to go work on my circle cutting skills now for my little round table :) Thanks!

I LOVE this idea! And it is SO pretty!!! What size is the table you covered? I am going to do this! AND I am going to Pin this!!

Thank you!

Lou Cinda :)

It’s beautiful. Don’t worry I do things on the fly too and then have the “doh” moment of how I could have shown all my blog readers how to do it too. Haha
    Sheila recently posted..HEY GIRL!!!My Profile

I am soooooo excited!! I have a round table that I need to recover and this would go perfectly with my bargain sofa that I just had slip covers made from DROP CLOTHS!! One of those things that makes me go “Now why didn’t I think of that!” And since I don’t sew this is the perfect project for me!! I am glad you forgot all that other stuff, ’cause to be quite honest, you would have lost me. thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Oh Vanessa…no need for shame here…your table skirt is just beautiful!!! I am funny in the way that I’d rather be given quick “this is what i did”, than an involved step by step tutorial for a project like this one. The more simplistic and easy the better…and if you can pull off results like your table skirt then I say kudos to you!!!
    OX Barbara

This is fabulous! I thought about just cutting a circle in my drop cloth (my dining table is round) but I never thought to use another round tablecloth as a template. Whoo Hoo! Thanks for the “tutorial”!!

Jane recently posted..HELLO MARCH AND A DIY PROJECTMy Profile

11. Donna says

Wow! Make me one! Haha. Ok, don’t want to? Then tell me where you bought the drop cloth because I am just that lazy!

your much too funny… you learned the ‘what seemed
    to be complicated with numbers’.. turned out to
    oh sew easy…
    No matter, your round table cloth is beautiful.
    I have made slipcovers with dropcloths and the
    fabric once washed and bleached turns out to
    be just the best! Now to not let the HD or those
    who sell them know this.. cause, the price will
    go up!
    good post
    sandy recently posted..Rushing Spring just a bit with seeds….My Profile

You are sooo funny!! You and I think alike. If I don’t have to do diameter and circumference I am so much happier. Love your “cheat”; something I would do if I thought of it :-)

14. MariaElena says

What a beautiful idea! I love drop cloth! And I am a big fan of liquid stitch. :) Thank you for the inspiration, Vanessa!

Girl – you hold your head up high as you walk down that “I made this without a darn sewing maching” Hall of Fame. In fact, snatch that baby off that table and wear it a la Scarlett O’hara. Them kind of “sewing” projects be the best kind of sewing projects. Now where is that drop cloth I bought the other day? :) TFS

16. Sue says

Seems very smart to me! I especially like the bouillon trim, Vanessa. Glad you had the room to lay it out. I’d have to do it in the garage. Oh wait- that place has less room than my great room. Can you say hoarder?