So Long Jack! How to Disguise Ugly Wall Fixtures

how_to_disguise_a_phone_jack atthepicketfence.com

I am convinced that unless you custom design and build your home you will have things that will make you say, “why on earth did they do that when they built this house??”

Am I right? You have those things in your home too, don’t you?

Outlets in the wrong place. Or no outlet where there should be one!

Or, for example, a phone jack in the middle of one wall with the outlet for the answering machine on the other wall?

And, I know, we are probably the only people left who still actually use our land-line and an answering machine but there you have it. We do.

phone jack

I made a half-hearted attempt at disguising the cord running across the wall by hanging up a bulletin board but frankly the entire area looked just pitiful. And if the kitchen desk was messy (which it usually is!) then it only added to the whole “dumping ground” affect going on.

So, when I found this metal organizer at TJ Maxx the other day a light bulb went off!

Would it work? Could it be the answer to my unsightly phone jack problem?

metal organizer

Why, yes it was! I just positioned it so that it would hang right over the phone jack and it worked like a charm. The phone now sits comfortably in the bottom rack and there is still plenty of room for all of our “stuff”.

hiding_wall_phone_jack www.atthepicketfence.com

Plus, it forced me to spruce up the desk area. Which lasted oh…just long enough to take these photos!

hiding_a_phone_jack atthepicketfence.com

Mason jars make cute holders for pens and scissors which I still have to keep out of reach of my youngest thanks to the “cutting-of-hair-right-before-Christmas-incident-of-2012″.

mason_jar_organization www.atthepicketfence.com

Unfortunately, a cord still stretches across the wall from the phone to the outlet on the other wall. Wouldn’t life be better if we could have electricity without cords? They really cramp my decorating style, you know? But, by painting it the same color as the wall I was able to disguise it a little bit.

painted phone cord

Don’t blink! This will probably be the only time this desk doesn’t have mail or homework or markers or Lalaloopsy dolls or Legos on top of it and you wouldn’t want to miss it!

kitchen_desk_organization www.atthepicketfence.com

Want to see some more clever solutions for disguising unsightly things in your home? Check out these ideas!

how_to_hide_wall_fixtures_outlets_vents atthepicketfence.com

Disguise a wall vent AND create a display wall like Eclectically Vintage

wall vent

Hide Your Garage Door Opener like My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

garage door opener

Create a wall collage to disguise outlets and thermostat like Jones Design Company.

wall collage

Use a Tray to Hide Outlets from Organize and Decorate Everything

tray-1024x768

Why not disguise an ugly wall vent with a doormat like Debbiedoos?

repurposed-door-mat

And Tami from Curb Alert?

Return Air Vent After

From One Kings Lane a hinged painting hides control panels or other unsightly outlets.

EDIT_HINGED_OIL_PAINTING

And if you just need to change out an old and ugly outlet, Pretty Handy Girl can show you how!

ScrewIdentify

I love creative solutions to everyday problems, don’t you?

Thanks so much for helping me say farewell to “jack” today! ;-)

1553F4F30A9801A6AFB3E9C624118E7B

Comments

We still have a land line and answering machine (that I rarely check – sorry everyone that left a message 3 months ago)!

Ah, the hair cutting incident. I found beautiful blonde curls in the toilet years ago — and a few chunks missing from my girls hair. Yes, one twin gave the other a haircut.

Builders – stop putting these unsightly things in plain view!
    Kelly
    Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage recently posted..I Scored at the Thrift Store – I Need a Vintage Glassware InterventionMy Profile

Vanessa, your disguise is perfect! I always try and hide them, too…it’s great too see other unique ways that people come up with. I have one in my “Settling into Our New Home” post. I’m back with creations and décor in our new home in N.C. I hope you’ll have time to stop by! It’s feels great to be back in the “loop” again!
    have a great Holiday weekend!
    Janet/JP
    jp recently posted..Front Door Wreath… it’s a l’il bit chippy!My Profile

3. L Bernard says

I couldn’t stand the cords from telephone to phone jack. I found a solution that worked for me. Mine was in the kitchen. I used small subway tiles and tiled OVER the wires. Of course, I’ll never be able to use them again, but they are cheap. I cut a groove in the wall where the wires could rest flush with the wall and then tiled over them. I smile every time I see my handy work.

4. Ellen says

Excellent idea! I forget about TJ Maxx for home items; must go soon. I recently covered up our (unused) land line jack with a coffee station. The old ammo box turned on its side is tall enough to hide the jack and still deep enough for the bean jar, etc.

Great job! I love that organizer :) And I’m with you on the whole cord issue. Even hidden behind the computer monitor i had the dirty dusty mess that ends up there in the tangle of cords.
    Jill Flory recently posted..A French RecipeMy Profile

Brilliant! Oh yes I have one of those too.Took me awhile to figure it out but finally my solution was a cabinet with a hole in the back for access to the outlet.Doors closed it has sa chalk board for notes :-).I drilled holes on the side for the cords.
    xx
    Anne

Boy could I relate to this post! I have a phone jack up high on the wall in my kitchen where we used to hang a phone. Now, we don’t use it anymore. I always have to hang a picture there to hide it. Also, I don’t have an outlet in my foyer behind the chest of drawers. So, I had to run an extension cord around the stairs to the dining room! Got to get creative. LOL! My husband used a sticky back cord cover to conceal it so no one really notices it lining the base of the wall with the trim. I love your wire organizer!! It’s so cute and looks perfect in that spot.
    Kelly recently posted..My Front PorchMy Profile

Love these great ideas. Since we are building our new house, I asked the builder to put our outlets sideways into the baseboards which are over-sized any way. I like the ideas for covering air returns so I may just have to try one of these. I like how your curated several ideas too. Have a blessed day.
    Anita @ Cedar HIll recently posted..The Scoop #69My Profile

Howdy! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does running a well-established website like yours require a massive amount work?
    I am completely new to blogging however I do write in my diary everyday.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can share my personal experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!
    downtown chicago spa recently posted..downtown chicago spaMy Profile

I recently such as the valuable details an individual deliver with your posts. I’ll search for your own blog site look once more below routinely. We are reasonably sure I will be up to date a good amount of innovative stuff right here! Enjoy for the!

Many thanks tons regarding revealing this specific with consumers you undoubtedly know very well what you are speaking about! Book-marked. Nicely additionally visit my website Equates to). Organic meat employ a url modify understanding in between us all