House Numbers Pumpkin Topiary

Have you ever tried to find pumpkins in August? No seriously.

House Numbers Pumpkin Topiary

This is no easy task.  Don’t the pumpkin farmers know that we bloggers and crafters and diyers are ready to get our fall on? Don’t they know that people have been pinning fall projects and ideas on Pinterest since July and have now moved on to Christmas?

Don’t they understand that we want pumpkins, no we NEED pumpkins, so we can attempt to come up with some unique, never seen before fall pumpkin if.

house numbers pumpkin topiary

Do the pumpkin farmers know they are driving us to give consideration to creating secret pumpkin growing operations in our basements?  Where we can speed up growth through secret artificial means? A pumpkin growing enterprise where we sneak our stash of pumpkins to our fellow soccer moms on the field sidelines or after PTA meeting we  can rendezvous at our car trunks so our pumpkins can exchange hands

…we need help! We NEED our pumpkins! In the meantime you can make this fun FALL outdoors project using faux pumpkins! Thank goodness Hobby Lobby, Michael’s and JoAnn understands our NEEDS!

Faux pumpkins-enough for each house number (Purchased at JoAnn Fabric)
Plastic house numbers in style of choice (purchased at Home Depot)
Container of choice (purchased at Home Depot)
Wooden Dowel
Spanish Moss
Hot Glue Gun
Philips Head Screwdriver

House Numbers Pumpkin Topiary Tutorial

Place Dowel in container and anchor using hole at bottom of container.  If container does not have a hole, anchor dowel in container using rocks or bricks.  Make sure dowel is cut to size, if necessary, to accommodate the height of stacked pumpkins.
Using knife cut off stems of all but the top pumpkin, creating a hole for dowel to thread through.
Find the flatest surface of each pumpkin and center house letters.  Apply a small amount of hot glue to back of numbers and on end of screws to help secure to pumpkin surface. Using a philips head screwdriver, screw numbers to surface of pumpkin.
Stuff newspaper around dowel in container, if necessary, for bottom pumpkin to rest on.  Cover newspaper with spanish moss.
Thread pumpkins onto dowel in order of house numbers.

House Numbers Pumpkin Topiary

House Numbers Pumpkin Topiary

Do tell…have you had any luck finding pumpkins yet where you live? Have you begun decorating for Fall?

If you’re as ready for fall as we, get ready for more amazing FALL inspiration!  Be sure to visit our talented friends over the next few weeks during our Autumn Abounds party! We’ll be wrapping it up with a huge FALL Linky Party and amazing giveaway!!

autumn abounds

Friday, Sept. 20th Becca @
Monday, Sept. 23rd Kristen @
Tuesday, Sept. 24th Angelina @
Wednesday, Sept. 25th Courtney @
Thursday, Sept. 26th Debbie @
Friday, Sept. 27th Kim @

fox hollow cottage fireplace mantel

paint your own pumpkin canvas

Thanks for joining me today…at the picket fence!

I think it’s about time you go have a chat with the pumpkin farmers, Heather, and talk some pumpkin sense into them! Love the idea of adding numbers to the topiaires … I’m sure you’ll see these popping up all over your new neighborhood now! Happy Fall!
    Becca recently posted..Sneak Peeks of Fall …My Profile

Love your topiary!! So glad you were able to find a solution to your pumpkin dilemma!! Now I’ll expect to see you do a room makeover for a hydroponic pumpkin operation in a few months – haha!! Who needs a guest bedroom anyway? 😉 Great tute too!
    Heather recently posted..Project Inspire{d} Linky PartyMy Profile

You knocked this right out of the park. I LOVE IT. I may have to copy it because my address has three numbers too. Your pics are beautiful. Seems as if you are settling nicely into your new home. Much to look forward to! Have a wonderful day…Ann
    Ann recently posted..Fall Mantel IdeasMy Profile

hehehe. Secret pumpkin growers unite! I KNOW. What the heck right? Where are all the Pumpkins? There is Christmas out in the stores, why not Pumpkins? We need our Pumpkin fix. lol

You made do so well!! Your Pumpkin house number topiary could not be any cuter.
    It’s super adorable!! The great news is, you can keep it for years to come!! So there is always that :)
    Shannon @ Fox Hollow Cottage recently posted..Concrete Pumpkin Craft DIY TutorialMy Profile

It’s super easy to grow your own pumpkins. I just plant the seeds during spring break every year. There are tons of varieties (that are super expensive at the store) but next to free to grow. If you don’t have tons of space consider growing them up over an arbor or patio cover!
    This idea is super cute! Thanks for sharing!
    Ashley Rane Sparks
    Ashley Rane Sparks recently posted..I’m just saying…..thoughts about driving.My Profile

This is such a GREAT idea. I love it. I am so in the mood for fall. We are staying with my girlfriend while we build our new home. It should get started soon!!! I am waiting for her to get moving so we can get her home fallifide!!! I think I made a new word, LOL!

Cynthia recently posted..For the Love of a PillowMy Profile

Definitely doing this! I have been busy decorating for Fall inside but havent tackled my porch yet… this is too cute! I tried something similar last year with real pumpkins. I carved out my house numbers on each one and then filled the pumpkins with some orange holiday lights… it was cute, but unfortunately didnt last long. This craft idea will last for many seasons to come! Thank you for sharing :)
    Shana @ Our Feathered Nest recently posted..Our Fall MantleMy Profile

8. Kathy Menaguale says

Here in Upstate NY, we have lots of pumpkins already but wouldn’t this topiary be tough to do with real ones? I think they would rot. I discovered white pumpkins last year for the 1st time and LOVE decorating with them!

• says

Hi Kathy! I would stick with faux pumpkins because you can use them year after year BUT if someone wanted to use real ones you could. They would last just about as long as a carved pumpkin, in other words not very long! :) If someone wanted to do real, I’d make it just a few days before Halloween. Otherwise, the faux ones can be used all season long with no worries!

Heather recently posted..House Numbers Pumpkin TopiaryMy Profile

Girls, this is genius!! I love it. Don’t be surprised if I make one. Thank you so much for the inspiration. (P.S. I found this post because the cute Kim Wilson posted it on her Sand and Sisal FB page.)

10. Brittany says

Great project! Can you tell us which container you used from Home Depot? There are several on their website but I can’t tell by the pictures what dimensions would be close. Thanks for sharing!