A New Year…a new weight loss update!

Heather 2013 weight loss

Wow! It’s hard to believe it’s been since September since I’ve given you an update on my weight loss journey! I promised an update at 75 lbs and I flew right past that goal.  With the holidays, and all of the projects and posts that come along with that when you have a blog, I turned around and it was the end of the year.  So I decided it was time to give an update as we kick-off 2014!

Every year I, along with so many others, make a quiet resolution that THIS will be the year I finally get my weight and health under control.  Of course, year after year, I would slip back into old habits and addictions, usually within a week or two and toss the resolution out the window.  But this past year I decided enough was enough.  I got scared! I got angry! I got determined!

2014 started so much happier for me than any year I can remember when it came to my own personal well being.  I started this month 84 pounds less than I started last January!

In October I had a chance to give a presentation at the Country Living Fair and spent some time with my friend Jeanne of JuNxtaposition who has a booth there every year.  We met for the first time last year and had our picture taken together, she insisted we take one again in the exact same spot as last year.  Then told me to go home and find last year’s picture….the difference was such a SHOCK to me! I truly didn’t know I looked that way and I didn’t have a full grasp on how much I had lost until I saw the side by side…

Heather Before and After 65 pounds

October 2013 Sixty-Five Pound Loss

I started hearing from so many of my friends here and on Facebook that it was time for a new photo of myself!  When taking our family Christmas pictures I had my dad grab a quick one of me alone….

Heather weight loss November 2013

November 2013 75 pound loss

As happy and thrilled with my weight loss and how amazing I feel, I do know that I am still at the very beginning of a life long change.  In some respects the easy part is losing the weight, the difficult part is keeping up the lifestyle changes and dealing with the emotions of an ever changing body.  There are scars from the damage I did for so many years.  Both physically and mentally.  I’m not young, my skin isn’t recovering like it might have if I’d gone down this path in my 20’s or early 30’s.  I’ve started working with a personal trainer to tone my arms and legs.  I have stretch marks from excessive weight gain and my skin is starting to sag a little.  I had a bout of stress induced hair loss, which is common with large amounts of weight loss and that was a little scary for someone used to a thick full head of hair BUT….

I consider these issues as part of the consequence of living an “out of control” life for so long.  There are always going to be residual effects but the positive things so out weigh these issues!

Like….wearing a dress above the knee for the first time since high school

December 2013 80 lbs

December 2013 80 pound loss

or finally buying and wearing knee high boots with jeans tucked in…for the first time ever!

These may seem like small things (no pun intended) to some, but they were HUGE (no pun intended) to me! Goals I used to help keep me going strong!

I still have about 40 pounds to go until my goal, but I don’t focus on that number! I focus on the small things like  buying a wrap dress (I’ve always wanted one) to wear to a wedding, feeling my collar bones for the first time, having a (almost) flat stomach, a bounce in my step when I walk, and waking up ready to tackle the day and not exhausted and wanting to crawl back under the covers.

I have a quote that I’ve claimed as my own during this journey and I want to share it with you….

DETERMINED Louisa May Alcott quote from At The Picket Fence

I know many people choose a WORD that will define the new year, I would have to say mine is DETERMINED! I’m determined to turn my life around for my family, for my friends but most of all for me!

I know many of you have asked what I’m actually DOING to lose the weight.  I’ve tried to answer any emails (hundreds) that I’ve received but I am sure I’ve let some slip by.   Because I believe that everyone needs to find the right plan for themselves, I’m hesitant to share the actual specifics here publicly.  I am using a meal replacement plan, it does cost money, but I feel it’s been the perfect fit for me…and my family! My husband has lost almost 40 and my son over 50 on the same plan.  As part of this plan I have a fabulous health coach that is part of my program.  She is amazing! If you are interested in knowing more about what I’m doing please feel free to contact me on my Facebook Page or by email at: thepattersonfour (at) gmail.com. I promise to update again soon…I think when I hit 100 pounds it will be time for a little celebration! So stay tuned for that…

Thank you again and again for all of your amazing support, encouragement and cheering me on! It means the world to me.

See you back here soon….at the picket fence!

P.S. You can see all of my past weigh loss updates!

1. Lisa says

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! You look terrific! As someone who has large calves, I know how great it must have felt to actually wear boots with jeans tucked in!

2. Bridget says

Determination is the perfect word for you! It is truly amazing that you have your family right along side of you and getting healthy with you! I have an out of control eating habit that has allowed me to gain 40 lbs. I am determined to live a much healthier life and am determined to lose that and keep it off. It is amazing how much better you feel about yourself when you can choose outfits because they look good and just not the ones you hide behind! You look amazing and I look forward to seeing your continued progress!

YOU are totally awesome and inspiring!
    And you remind me how I need to get focused on this issue too–
    ps–don’t forget to update your side bar photo showing off your progress!

4. june says

Heather you look amazing…but always have. I’m so happy for you that you are now a “healthier amazing woman”. You inspire me to keep going. I struggle as well with weight and it has to be what I want not because of what I’m doing for my kids, husband, etc.
    Determination a perfect way to sum it up.

Wishing you continued success!

5. Carol says

Well Done You! You have inspired with updates on your success toward improving your health and the fun things like over the knee boots. Wishing you and the rest of us continued success with weight loss goals.

6. Vicki Crowe says

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. Because of you i have started on my iwn weightloss journey and finding success! I enjoy your updates, they keep me going!

7. Sue Tait says

Heather! You look like a completely different person except you are still just as beautiful as ever. Isn’t is fun buying new clothes? I know when I lost 70 lbs I dropped 4 sizes and went from the “Queen size” department to the regular women’s department, and I felt so proud of myself for that. You must be so thrilled at how you look, but more important is how you feel. And I am betting you feel better now than you have in a long time. Congratulations! Keep up the good work, you are doing a great job and you are an inspiration to more people than you would ever imagine.

8. Debbie says

You look fantastic! You are such an inspiration to all of us that need to find the will to stick to a life style change! Keep up the good work. Oh and couldn’t help but notice your Alabama shirt – Roll Tide!

HEATHER!!!! I am in awe, my dear!! NOt only do you LOOK magnificent, your new confidence just shines through in your photos and your words! Many blessings and wishes for continued success on your journey!
    Hope to see your slim self soon! 😉
    xo Heidi
    Heidi @ Decor & More recently posted..Home Goals 2014My Profile

Congratulations! You look fantastic. I have been wanting to lose weight for a long time and you have TRULY inspired me. I’m thinking about a meal replacement as well. Wish me luck!

11. Nancie says

Thanks so much for “determined” as a Word of the Year. Your look and confidence burst from the page. I’m sure you will meet your goal, and how fun will that be!
    My husband and I are also dieting with a meal replacement plan; he’s lost 80 lbs and I’ve lost 74…and, being curvy, I totally “get” the boots outside the jeans…for me, it’s also moving into any store and finding a huge selection, not just the few options the store pre-chose for my larger size. For my husband, it’s crossing his legs.
    Thanks for sharing your story and your life and CONGRATULATIONS! on a job well-done.

12. Suzi says

Wow! You look amazing! I can’t believe how much younger you look. Don’t be too hard on yourself about the unhealthy years causing scars. I was very disciplined and kept my weight down with eating and exercise. I worked out from my twenties on but I have very saggy places that come with aging and health issues. Some of it just is inevitable and not a result of poor eating or exercise habits. It is what it is….when I feel too badly about my appearance, like droopy upper arms and wrinkly hands i say to myself, “look at those arms! They rocked babies and held grief-stricken friends. They wrapped warmly around my husband and carried loads of laundry for my kids. Look at those hands! They wiped tears away and created a beautiful place to live. They baked bread for my family and cooked meals for the needy. They are beautiful.” :-)

Wow, Heather, what an amazing transformation story! You look incredible. I think it is so great that you are sharing your story with the world. I can never get enough inspiration! You are doing it the right way in realizing this is a lifestyle not just a fad diet. Thank you for sharing your story!!!
    Kerri recently posted..Motivational QuotesMy Profile

14. Carol Reddin says

Heather, I am very moved as I read your story. Even as a little girl, you were always very “determined” when you decided on something. I see how wonderfully this trait is manifesting itself now in this transformational life change. We’re so, so proud of you! You are deeply loved and cherished – in every way, shape or form. Mom

I’m overwhelmed ( in a good way) by this post. I was at the mall today with my daughter. Unfortunately, the mall is filled with mirrors and glass windows… I am so embarrassed of my reflection.

I want to do something about it, but I can’t seem to muster up the will and determination to keep it going. I wish I could pinpoint what exactly is holding me back.

You are truly an inspiration and I can hear the joy in your words and see it on your face…I am so very excited for you and feel like each little milestone is in someway my own victory…maybe because watching you go through this journey gives me hope that it is possible for me to lose weight.

If I may, I’d like to ask for prayer for a breakthrough…emotionally so that I have the will and determination to start the weight loss for real… and that I would not go through another year disappointed in myself.

I’m willing to share this so publicly because I know that my voice probably represents many…

Blessings and Happy New Year to both of you!
    Sharon recently posted..Designer Looks for Less: 1 mantel 5 waysMy Profile

Heather, you weight loss and better health journey, is so FAR reaching. It not only speaks into peoples lives who may struggle with the same thing, it also speaks into, Family, Faith, Friendships, Determination and Hard Work. You are a living testimony to all those things. Taking responsibility for our actions, is the Beginning to ALL successes we may have in our lives. Thank you for sharing story and journey with us.
    Angelina-JoJo and Eloise recently posted..Lucky Face Threads – Glitter Arrow NecklaceMy Profile

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Wow. What a story you have and will have to tell. I so appreciate the reality of your weight loss. My husband works quite a bit in this area and he would SO applaud you for so many reasons, but that you have a health coach and your family is on board, well, that’s the win-win situation.
    Way to go, Heather!
    Lynn Richards recently posted..A Little Tuesday TutorialMy Profile

Such a great job you have done! You look wonderful! I only need to lose about 20 pounds, and I can’t seem to have ANY success. You have conquered so much, I’m inspired by you. Continued success to you!
    Mare recently posted..A Ballpark Thank YouMy Profile

19. Patsy Dennis says

I am so very proud if you… You look amazing and I have been praying for this journey for you since you started..

You are an amazing woman of God.

20. Jennifer L says

You have done a great job! I am in the same boat as you. I have lost 96lbs and have 30 more to reach my goal. I have the hair loss too which really shook me at first but I would rather have thin hair than a big gut. LOL I understand the excitement of wearing the latest styles and also I used to always be behind the camera now I find myself in front of it with a huge smile. Keep up the Awsome work you have done.

You look amazing!!!! Cheri totally peaked my curiosity on her weight loss and then after I saw your 50 pound post, I was all the more interested. I just started my journey in January (with a friend nearby who is a coach) and I’m down 20 pounds my first month. You are inspiring and I’m totally following your story. I have similar story to yours and one day I’ll share it. I’m not quite there yet. Keep up the amazing work!!! XOXO

• says

Thank you Diana! I’m down 90 lbs as of today! I still can’t believe it when I say that. lol I’m cheering you on and please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing!

22. Sandy says

Heather, you look amazing! You’re right, we all have to find what works for us. This plan Is obviously working very well for you. I may have to use a meal plan that my doc suggested just to help me in the beginning. I would like to lose 50 pounds. I know what you mean about life changes. I love the word determined. Your transformation has inspired me. I know it must be even more difficult with a family and your own business to run but you’re doing it. Our health and well being come first. I hope you will continue to share your milestones with all of your readers because I’m sure you are inspiring so many. I love your honesty. I think food is an extremely difficult addiction because our bodies need to be nurtured and food and sugar is everywhere! It can get out of control. You go girl! You are an inspiration.

Take initiative and get the amount of customers you deserve.
    Learning to do business online is just another
    skill that can be acquired in the same way we acquire other skills.
    I mean, you can get a commission check anywhere, and even of you don’t think
    this could happen; your company could shut down in a heartbeat
    and leave you stranded.
    huntington beach marketing and visitors bureau recently posted..huntington beach marketing and visitors bureauMy Profile