Original Fantasy Fudge Recipe … a sweet treat!

the original fantasy fudge

There are a million fudge recipes out there but I love the  original Fantasy Fudge recipe. This is the recipe that calls for marshmallow creme. Yep marshmallow creme. You know that ooey gooey stuff you get in the little jar.

Kraft has a fantasy fudge recipe on the back of their Jet Puff jar. Don’t use that one. It’s a newfangled one. It’s not near as good as the original fantasy fudge recipe with marshmallow creme. Why do manufacturers insist on screwing with the original recipes? Just leave ’em alone folks. They were popular for a reason!

original fantasy fudge recipe 2

I’m going to give you the “original” Fantasy Fudge recipe. The ones fudge makers have been making for years!

Original Fantasy Fudge Recipe

Yield: 3 pounds approximately

1 inch square

• 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 12-oz. (340 g) package semi-sweet quality chocolate chips
  • 1 7-oz. (198 g) jar Kraft Marshmallow creme
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional) Both walnut and pecans are good
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to full rolling bail, stirring constantly.
  • Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring and not letting to scorch. Make sure your heat is at medium.
  • Remove from heat, stir in chocolate until melted.
  • Add marshmallow creme, nuts & vanilla, beat till blended.
  • Pour into greased or parchment lined 9 X 13-inch baking pan. Let cool and cut into 1-inch squares. (I prefer parchment lined as it's so easy to pop out and cut into pretty squares.
  • Note: Here's a little parchment paper trick for you: Cut your piece to fit down into pan with paper coming up sides. Spray your baking pan with cooking spray on bottom and up sides. Immediately lay your paper down inside and press down onto cooking spray. Spray will help your paper stick in place and form to the pan better.)
  • Note: Can be made in a smaller pan for thicker squares, but making it in the 9 X 13 will give you great size pieces and so much more.

The original fantasy fudge recipe

…and in case one great Christmas Treat wasn’t enough….here’s 34 sweets and treats from my blogger friends to get you through the whole holiday season!

Candy Cane Marshmallow Treats from My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia
Apricot Pockets from Redhead Can Decorate
Rocky Road Fudge from Ella Claire
Peppermint Chocolate Fudge from Crazy Little Projects
Triple Chocolate Peanut Clusters from Major Hoff Takes A Wife
Christmas Trifle from Town and Country Living

1. Cyndi says

I have made this fudge for over 25 years. I made it before I even had a candy thermometer. 5 minutes and it was great! I’ve sent this in boxes all over the world to friends and family and it’s always a winner. Happy to see it here on you blog.

• Cyndi says

I also wanted to add that Parkay margarine and not butter was called for since we are talking about the original recipe. I’ve made it with both depending on my financial state and it taste great no matter which one you use. Getting ready to make a batch now that is going to a young women in the Marine Corps stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Yum!

• says

Hi Cyndi! You are correct. Now that you mentioned this, I remember that a few years ago I switched over to butter as a healthier alternative but margarine can definitely be used as well. Thanks for the reminder and thank you for sending such a “sweet gift” to a service member! :) ~Heather

• Cyndi says

I’m sure they put the Parkay in the recipe because it was a Kraft product. I love you cook and bake anyway but to do it for our troops is close to my heart. My father and husband are retired Marines. But I have all the services in my heart and they have all shared the bounty. Having lived overseas before I know how hard it is especially during the holidays. Our home was always open to anyone that wanted to join us.

2. June says

NUMMO! No wonder when I make the one on the jar it never tastes like I remember from long ago. I too hate when manufacturers mess with a good thing. This sounds like a good diet breaker for the season…thanks for posting:)

Okay, when I first started reading about this fudge I thought — It’s my recipe of — get this– Mamie Eisenhower’s Million dollar Fudge. This is telling my age!! I’ve had the recipe since I was in college although the Eisenhower’s were NOT in the White House. The biggest difference is that it uses semi-sweet chocolate PLUS German sweet Chocolate and it is scrumptious. I agree with you, I don’t know why they mess around with something good. I’ve made this recipe so many times throughout the years — always to give as a gift to someone special. Thank you for reminding me.
    Marisa Franca @ All Our Way recently posted..All Our Way Turkey – Brine it, Bone it, Bake itMy Profile

4. grammygoodwill says

I shared this on my Facebook page. I have a great story to tell you. For years, my mom made this fudge for us kids. Then, she had a stroke. My dad tried to carry on for her, but he just could never get it right. So, my husband took over, then I took over for him once I retired. We were convinced we were using Mom’s recipe, the one on the back of the jar. This year – 12 years later and two years after Mom died – I found Mom’s recipe card. That’s when I discovered that the marshmallow cream should be added at the end. It has made the fudge so much better. (I made 10 batches for Thanksgiving to give my family.)Then I read this post. Amazing coincidence.

5. Rhonda Sherman says

This is my all time favorite fudge recipe. I made the one that is on the jar now not too long after they changes it. I was so disappointed. Thanks for sharing it.