Summer in our minds is synonymous with simplicity. It’s relaxed and casual and somehow on a warm day when there is a breeze blowing through your hair, your only worry ends up being about what you are going to toss on the grill for dinner.
It’s flip-flops and swimming pools. Farmers markets and berries. Hammocks and cocktails…although you might not want to try and drink a cocktail while lounging in a hammock…just trust us on that one! 😉
And, in our opinions, summer decorating should be just as simple. No fuss, no muss. Just easy breezy touches throughout your home that will evoke all of the best parts of this glorious season.
1. A chalkboard on the front porch is a great way to greet summer and your guests. And keeping your color scheme simple takes out the guesswork. For a little something extra, add an architectural element to your front door like the iron grate seen here.
2. Don’t stress over those open surfaces like sideboards or buffet tables. A glass vase or jar filled with greenery keeps things light and open and even something as simple as bottles of sparkling water become fantastic decorative elements especially when displayed on a tray with a bowl of limes or lemons nearby.
3. Summer and natural elements go together perfectly so grab a wire basket and fill it with decorative woven/rattan balls. This works well on a hearth like you see below or even as a table centerpiece.
4. Plants and flowers are a no-brainer for summer decorating and even something as simple as lavender in a galvanized metal pot looks effortlessly elegant.
5. Keep your mantels low-key and fuss free. Flowers (real or faux) and a few favorite pieces are all you need. You might even consider switching out your artwork for something that evokes the feelings of summertime.
6. ‘She sells seashells by the seashore’ and you should definitely add them around your home. It doesn’t get much simpler or summer-y than that!
7. Baskets, baskets and more baskets. The woven textures always seem to keep spaces feeling more casual and when you combine a basket with a tray you have the best of both worlds. Do yourself a favor and keep one ready for those last minute guests who drop by to enjoy a warm summer evening. It makes entertaining a cinch!
8. And don’t forget that summer decorating extends to the outdoors as well! Create cozy spaces in your yard for gathering together with friends and family and enjoying those summer days that seem to never end.
While technically summer hasn’t actually officially started, we’ve never been known to be bound by a date on the calendar to dictate our decorating. We’re the ones who have our Christmas decorations up well before Thanksgiving after all. 😉
And, why wouldn’t you want to embrace summer as quickly as possible in all of it’s easy breezy glory? We know that we are definitely ready to welcome it with open arms and flip-flop our way right outside to make the most of this beautiful time of the year.
So, what about you? Do you decorate for summer? What are your favorite ways to add summer touches to your home?
Thanks for meeting us at the fence today!