If you’re looking for a healthy holiday appetizer, I want to introduce you to Roasted Beet Salsa! Beet Salsa is not only vibrant, the perfect color for your Christmas parties, it’s also delicious and healthy! How many holiday recipes can say that?!
There seems to be some foods that strike fear in the hearts of home cooks when it comes to preparation.
They often seem to end up near the top of the list. Brussels sprouts may run a close second.
I think it’s because in days gone by, i.e. when our grandmothers and mothers made them, they boiled them within an inch of their lives turning them into mushy side dishes.
If only they had known the magic of ROASTING. How roasting turns these unassuming little vegetables into dishes deserving of center stage.
When roasted and turned into salsa, beets make the perfect holiday appetizer.
- 6 cans of Sliced Beets
- 1/2 red onion
- non-stick cooking spray
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 Tablespoons honey or agave
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- zest of one medium size orange
- juice from one medium size orange
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar or zero calorie sweetener (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 450 º
- Cover large baking sheet (you may need two) with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Drain beets, separate and lay flat on baking sheet(s)
- Peel and slice into 1/2 inch slices half of a red onion, lay on backing sheet with beets
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top of beets and onion and sprinkle lightly with sea salt
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheets and allow beets and onion to cool
- Coarsely dice beets and onion and place into medium size bowl
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Add sugar or zero calorie sweetener to taste.
- Refrigerate overnight for full flavor
- Serve with goat cheese and crackers or slices of cucumbers for a healthier alternative
Serve with goat cheese and crackers, or slices of cucumber for a healthy alternative and enjoy serving this healthy holiday appetizer!
Leave a Reply