In the spring of 2020, I asked my husband to pick up some flour for me at the store on his way home. If you remember what life was like in the spring of 2020, you’re probably already chuckling to yourself. Because you know that trying to find flour in a store felt like trying to find a unicorn. I think that there had to be some kind of record broken last year for the number of sourdough starters created. In our house, we baked countless loaves of banana bread, tried our hands at homemade pretzels and decided that we can never go back to brownies from a box.
But, after the holidays, I found that I had definitely reached my baking quota and couldn’t bring myself to do much more than the bare minimum even though, by then, flour was a lot easier to find!
But, the other day I had a hankering for a recipe that would combine two of my most favorite flavors; honey and lemon. And I decided that the perfect way to blend them together was in a tea cake, loaf style.
And it was delicious! So delicious, in fact, that it disappeared in record time. It might be due to the fact that my family had gotten so used to having freshly baked goodies in the house throughout most of 2020 that they had been experiencing withdrawals in recent months.
With the end of the school year nearing (PRAISE JESUS!) I know I’ll be needing to up my baking game again. Teenagers and their friends coming and going have to be fed and there is nothing quite like something fresh from the oven to keep them wanting to hang out at our house.
Honey Tea Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease and flour loaf pan
- Combine the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, baking powder and salt)
- Mix together the egg, milk and oil
- Gently add dry mixture to wet until just combined.
- Add the honey to the mixture. Stir until moist but don't over stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before adding the lemon glaze.
- Combine confectioners sugar and lemon glaze and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cooled loaf and allow it to set before serving.
So this honey tea cake loaf is definitely going into the rotation and I hope you’ll give it a try at your house too. Let me know if you do!
Leave a Reply