Oh, Gus! Spare me.
Okay, there really isn’t a Gus, or anything to spare, but I’m trying to get your attention because I’m talking about asparagus today. Yep, good ole “green sprig most people run from” asparagus.
Hi, everyone…it’s Julie, from redheadcandecorate.com. I hope you love asparagus as much as I do. I know the ATPF sister’s do. They recently shared “Roasted Asparagus with Goat Cheese” and it sounded so amazing. So much amazing, that it reminded me of my grandmother’s “Creamed of Asparagus on Toast”…
Oh my goodness, doesn’t that look scrumptious.
So, you never heard of “Creamed of Asparagus on Toast”? My husband hadn’t either, until I made it for him last year. He was quite skeptical, but very interested. Let me tell you…he LOVES it now. It’s very comforting, and satisfying. The textures and nutty, salty, flavors really keep him licking his chops for more.
Before I share how to make this for your loved ones, I wanted you to know that this was my maternal Grandmother’s recipe. Her name is Nano, and she and I were very close. I remember her making me peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and then playing tic tac toe with me at the table while I ate it. Nothing gets better than that, when you are 5.
I hope you enjoy making one of her favorite “adult” dishes…”Creamed of Asparagus on Toast”. It’s a wonderful way to use up all of those hard boiled eggs after Easter, and it’s also a meatless dish.
- 1/2 lb. fresh clean asparagus with 1 inch cut off bottom
- 5 hard boiled eggs peeled (4 of them chopped, and 1 sliced in circles)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk (any milk is fine)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- S & P
- 8 slices of toast
- Wash asparagus.
- Boil asparagus sprigs in salted water for approx. 3 minutes and then drain & set aside.
- Melt butter in medium frying pan.
- Add flour.
- Mix into a paste with a wooden spoon.
- Add milk and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Add optional cheddar cheese.
- Add 4 chopped eggs.
- Add S & P to your liking.
- Set up toast with cooked asparagus (see photo).
- Pour the creamy mixture over everything.
- Garnish with parsley and sliced egg.
- 4 servings
Follow Julie on Instagram or subscribe to her weekly newsletter that goes out every Wednesday.
Toni Tackett says
My mother made a similar recipe using French toast with asparagus and covered with a basic cream sauce.
Marijean Jenson says
I had never had this till I got married, and my husbands Mother made this all the time. We now have it every spring with our own asparagus. Yummy !