Hi there ATPF friends! It’s me, Claire from A Little CLAIREification, and I am thrilled to be back sharing these easy and fun Minty St. Patrick’s Day Cake Mix Cookies with you today.
They taste just like Andes mints in a cookie. Sooo good.
Even though I am mostly Irish, thanks to my sweet Grandaddy, I have to admit that we don’t do too much as far as decorating or celebrating for St. Patrick’s Day around here.
While I certainly feel lucky – and definitely blessed – with my family and our three boys, it’s just one of those holidays that slips right through the cracks for the most part.
My Mom was an elementary school teacher – she retired about four years ago – and she would always have her fun holiday themed “teacher outfits” or holiday pins she would wear.
One simply cannot teach elementary school and not wear green on St. Patrick’s Day. That would never do.
Sometimes, for certain holidays that I wouldn’t bother too much about, I think about my Mom and how she always would do just a little something extra to make them fun for me and my brothers when we were younger.
This encourages me to try and make those holidays special for my own boys as well.
I thought it would be fun to surprise them with these minty green cookies in their school lunches this year on St. Patrick’s Day and, since this recipe uses a cake mix, they are so easy to make too.
Rolling the cookie balls in granulated sugar followed by a little confectioner’s sugar helps to give them that slightly powdery “crinkled” look.
I have a batch of these cookies frozen and ready to go and I’m also going to send a little treat bag in to each of their teachers on St. Patrick’s Day, too.
Since I probably won’t remember to wear green, maybe it will help me avoid a few pinches! 😉
I’ve included a free St. Patrick’s Day gift tag printable below so you can print them for teachers and/or friends if you’d like.
Here’s the easy recipe:
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- White granulated sugar for coating
- Confectioner's sugar for coating
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp shortening (such as Crisco)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Have an ungreased cookie sheet ready to go.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, sugar, melted butter, egg, food coloring and peppermint extract and mix until combined.
- Using your hands, roll out golf ball sized rounds of the cake batter mixture.
- Place some granulated sugar into one small bowl and some confectioner's sugar into another, about 1/2 cup each.
- Roll each cake ball into the granulated sugar to coat.
- Follow this by rolling each ball in confectioner's sugar and place onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are baking, place the chocolate chips and shortening into a small microwaveable bowl and microwave for 40 seconds.
- Stir, re-heat for 30 seconds and stir again until combined. If needed, microwave for 15 second increments stirring in between until completely melted and combined.
- Allow the chocolate to cool for 10 minutes and place into a small ziploc bag using a spatula.
- Once the cookies are cooled, snip off a tiny corner of the chocolate bag and pipe onto the cookies.
- Allow to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
And here’s the free treat bag gift tag printable – just click to download and print. I usually just send the file off to my local copy center and have them print on card stock for me.
I hope you enjoy these and wishing you all the “Luck O’ the Irish” until we meet back here again!
Claire is a wife and busy working Mom to three boys and A Little CLAIREification is a lifestyle blog committed to bringing readers “Bright Ideas On A Budget” – from recipes, crafts and DIY projects to time management tips, meal planning and inspiration.
A self proclaimed CHEESE addict and lover of Sharpie markers in every color known to man, Claire also likes to throw a little fun and laughter in the mix as well.
Subscribe via EMAIL | Follow me on TWITTER | Follow me on Pinterest
These look delicious! I love any holiday, because it makes a great excuse to eat delicious nom noms!
Lisa @ Cooking with Curls says
Oooh, I love mint!! These cookies look delicious, Claire! 🙂
Yum! Those look incredible! Perfect for St.Patrick’s day!!
What a great idea for a teacher’s gift! You are so amazing you even give us the tags!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
I just love cake mix cookies in general, but these are so perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! 🙂 Pinned.
Yum! I love anything mint + chocolate!!
Yumm! These look awesome!
YUM! I want some now!! These look so good!
Pinning this for sure!! And such a fun and cute idea to give it as a gift, thank you!
Sarah Halstead says
Ohhh! Those look amazing!!! Yummm!
These look tasty! I love mint.
These look delish! I love the color!
Cassie @ Beauty & The Boys says
Oh my gosh! These look SO good!
These look super yummy Claire. Love cake mix cookies.
Brooke @ Blushing Noir says
Those look incredible! I need to try this!
Christina S says
I love how easy and cute these are. We’ll be trying them for sure.
Oh my goodness these look amazing. I can’t wait to make them and eat them!
Jennifer S. says
This look divine!! And absolutely perfect for St. Patty’s day!
Kristine Foley says
Mint anything is my jam! I’ve heard of making cookies from cake mix, but have never attempted it! Thanks for sharing! Hope mine turn out!
These look so awesome (mouth watering now). This sounds and looks like a great recipe to try. I’m looking forward to trying this one out. Great expression of the IRISH green!!